Mantic Twin Disk Clutch - 2 Months Later + 4 1/4 Mile Passes

MrAjsTech

Enthusiast
Established Member
Hey guys! So I wanted to check in and give you guys my experience with the Mantic Twin Disk Clutch. I installed the Mantic Twin Disk Clutch about 2 Months ago after my stock clutch gave out. To recap: my 03 Cobra has a 2.3L TVS Supercharger on it making 605rwhp. The car has stock suspension with the exception of H&R Race springs. The clutch install was very straight forward and the clutch break in period went very well. I made sure to keep the car out of boost or really any throttle for 1,000 miles.

*Something to note during break in: the clutch will go in and out of stages where it drives very rough. It will chatter bad around 200 miles of the break in process and will ease up around 400 miles. After the full 1,000 miles which was mixed highway and city, the clutch drives 100% smooth with zero chatter and has a much lighter pedal feel than the stock clutch.

After break in I noticed that the stock adjuster would ratchet out of adjustment if I touched the pedal backwards by accident. I solved this issue by adding a firewall adjuster with the stock cable in order to give it a more static location of adjustment. Otherwise the car still has stock pivot ball, stock cable, and stock quadrant.

I recently made it down to Orlando Speed World for some 1/4 Mile passes with the car. The clutch performed very well. 5000-5500RPM launches and the clutch did not miss a beat. The clutch has a fantastic engagement point for launching and I was able to feel it out to get the right slip out of the hole. The best 60 foot I saw was a 1.65 and I expect to see improvements with that when I down size the 28" tire to a 26" or 27".

Let me know if anyone has questions about the Mantic clutch. If you are interested in purchasing I got mine directly from Mantic USA via Geoff. Many Vendors are going to be offering the clutch too. I believe Lethal currently offers it. Mantic Cerametalic Twin Disk Clutch: M921240: http://goo.gl/Q4bFVa

Geoff contact info: [email protected]

This is my most recent video talking about my 4 1/4 Mile Passes

Mantic Install:

The Stock Clutch is toast

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
I feel really good with my 4 only ever runs I made last year with my Tvs Vert on 315-30-18 R888's with shit clutch that wouldn't shift...

11.3 @125

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Mph does seem low, car must have been hot. I’ve gone 122 with 500hp on a 28.

MrAjsTech

Enthusiast
Established Member
So you spent top dollar on a clutch with a sweet case and skipped out on upgrading the quadrant and firewall adjuster...?

But glad to hear it’s performing well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It isn't that I skipped out on firewall adjuster and quadrant, I am not the biggest fan of switching out OEM parts (that work) for questionable aftermarket parts that will not last as long. I have heard from several people once they started messing around with adjustable cables, aftermarket cables, adjusters etc that their clutch cable has snapped and they wished they had just left the stock cable in the car. In this case I installed a firewall adjuster but left the stock cable and it works perfectly.

MrAjsTech

Enthusiast
Established Member
Think your 2 step is killing you on shifts

The WOT Box delay is too high. Next time out I will be setting it down to 100ms. I like the high delay on the streets though. Its easier on the trans and much easier to keep traction on the streets with a softer shift.

MrAjsTech

Enthusiast
Established Member
I feel really good with my 4 only ever runs I made last year with my Tvs Vert on 315-30-18 R888's with shit clutch that wouldn't shift...

11.3 @125

That is a pretty good time for street tires

I went 11.4 @ 121 MPH with stock blower making 477rwhp. There are many factors leading to my car only going 11.0 @ 125 MPH with 150 more rwhp. The 28" tire is holding me back for sure. I am just shifting into 4th at the end before the traps, heat, and slow WOT box delay. Next time out will be 10s for sure! or... broken halfshafts

MrAjsTech

Enthusiast
Established Member
Mph does seem low, car must have been hot. I’ve gone 122 with 500hp on a 28.

I went 121 MPH prior with a stock eaton. Air was not good and the coolest I started a pass was at 120 degrees IAT2 and seeing 160 IAT2 by the end of pass. I believe timing starts to be pulled around 135 degrees and it gets very agressive around 150 degrees in order to prevent detonation.

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
That is a pretty good time for street tires

I went 11.4 @ 121 MPH with stock blower making 477rwhp. There are many factors leading to my car only going 11.0 @ 125 MPH with 150 more rwhp. The 28" tire is holding me back for sure. I am just shifting into 4th at the end before the traps, heat, and slow WOT box delay. Next time out will be 10s for sure! or... broken halfshafts

I'm going 10.99 one time this year just to have the ultimate vert on street tire's once I break in my Rxt

StrayBullitt

Established Member
Watched Geoff on VMP Tuning Tuesday and I'm sold. I'll be going with a Mantic when the time comes.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

01yellercobra

Established Member
It isn't that I skipped out on firewall adjuster and quadrant, I am not the biggest fan of switching out OEM parts (that work) for questionable aftermarket parts that will not last as long. I have heard from several people once they started messing around with adjustable cables, aftermarket cables, adjusters etc that their clutch cable has snapped and they wished they had just left the stock cable in the car. In this case I installed a firewall adjuster but left the stock cable and it works perfectly.
It's the adjustable cables that people have issues with. My car came with one and the sheath started to unravel. There's a stock cable in there now. You really can't wear out an aftermarket quadrant. It's a solid piece of metal. Maybe you can wear out a fire wall adjuster, but I've never seen it done.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Good vid.

But from the sound of even the best launch.....its having a hard time pulling out of the hole with those 28s. If you want to stay with the 28s.....it needs some 3.90 or 4.10 gears at that pump gas TQ level......or, you need to step it up to the corn tune with more boost. Bet an E85 setup would work very well with those tires.

MrAjsTech

Enthusiast
Established Member
I run a 26" Slick for my set up. But im on an SRA. I be you pick up a few MPH with the 26"
Good vid.

But from the sound of even the best launch.....its having a hard time pulling out of the hole with those 28s. If you want to stay with the 28s.....it needs some 3.90 or 4.10 gears at that pump gas TQ level......or, you need to step it up to the corn tune with more boost. Bet an E85 setup would work very well with those tires.

I am going to be swapping to a smaller tire for now. I plan to install a fuel system at some point but I want to have fun with the current setup before stepping up the power. I also need to address the IRS. It works well but I know time is limited. It is going to need the ford racing dif cover, bushings, and upgraded halfshafts.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I am going to be swapping to a smaller tire for now. I plan to install a fuel system at some point but I want to have fun with the current setup before stepping up the power. I also need to address the IRS. It works well but I know time is limited. It is going to need the ford racing dif cover, bushings, and upgraded halfshafts.

I see. One thing to keep in mind with E85, if you are not aware of this, is the fact it won't be pulling any timing at 135.....or 160. In fact, your tuner probably won't have it pulling any timing at all to near 200 IAT2. Your E85 tune will laugh at 160. So, even if you don't pulley down and keep the same boost.....E85 has a ton of advantages for the track or street when it comes to repeatable performance.

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
I see. One thing to keep in mind with E85, if you are not aware of this, is the fact it won't be pulling any timing at 135.....or 160. In fact, your tuner probably won't have it pulling any timing at all to near 200 IAT2. Your E85 tune will laugh at 160. So, even if you don't pulley down and keep the same boost.....E85 has a ton of advantages for the track or street when it comes to repeatable performance.
This is what im most excited about. Not feverishly watching my IAT2 temps. Now im one of the few that have had amazing luck with my killer chiller set up. But once I go to the corn the KC is coming off and im going to that GT500 dual fan HE set up.

Users who are viewing this thread