Manifolds or Longtubes

Nervouswreck

Established Member
I'm really trying to decide on what to do before I drop my motor back in guys . I keep hearing that headers don't really made a big difference on these cars , and to just open up the rest of the exhaust from manifolds back which I plan on going with an uncatted x pipe and Flowmasters ( I know a lot of guys don't like Flows but I do ) , my power level will be around 550ish and I plan on keeping it there . I don't want to have restrictions on what I can get to as far as the starter , trans bolts etc, plus I don't want the ground clearance issues . However I can stand to bolt those bricks back on . I was thinking shorties but I heard they drone bad . That's really what I wanted was shorties but everyone says don't bother , it seems like no good options here . So please tell me what you guys think , around my power level stated will LT's make that big of a difference? Keep in mind this is a street car I'm gonna drive on occasion and take to car shows , I'm 41 years old with nothing to prove here . Thank you everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
If your engine is out already, I would put a nice set of ceramic coated ARH's on it. They tuck up very nicely and don't hang low and they have lots of clearance too. They probably don't make much of a difference in power but they sure do help improve that awesome 4v sound, I say do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShaneCobra74

Established Member
I'm 43 and nothing to prove here, either. My MG vert runs stock manifolds, bassani OR-X, and borla stingers. My power level is 526/544 and I'm happy with the performance and sound. If you're not planning on finding more HP down the road, then I'd stay with stock manifolds. They actually perform pretty well, even at 550. If you plan on anything beyond 550 in the future, then I'd recommend Bassani mid-length. I have them on my coupe and they do the job for 600rwhp and have been trouble free for me.

I believe I've even read where folks have run manifolds at 600+ hp levels.

Beavis281

Established Member
Hell, you already have the motor out, that's more than half the battle.

If I was in your situation, with the motor out, it's a no brainer for me. I would certainly put long tubes in and I would also slap some cams in it.

Rambro

Established Member
Stock manifolds are good into the 700 plus rwhp range. If you want to spend that money to get the sound go ahead, just don't expect a crazy seat of the pants power gain from them.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
If you are 50/50 on the idea of doing them, just knock them out now. You'll be pissed at yourself if you decide to do them down the road with the motor in.

I've said "never again" to headers after I did them on a car 4 cars ago.. And I have always ended up putting them on, I hate it every single time. Luckily, my motor is out on this car and I'm going to take full advantage of that.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I have the stock manifolds (catted magn x with stinger cb). I have nothing against long tubes, to each their own, but it's not like my setup sounds poor or anything. It's actually nice n tame like when I'm around an leo car...but roars to life when hammered. It still makes great hp/tq 714/680 and I love seeing the boost gauge swing instantly to 22psi when I throttle it

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I have arh headers, here's my take on it. My HP gains were NOT good, about 8 rwhp. However, this was with my old tuner on 17lbs and 92 fuel. I've since switched to e85 and 21lbs.

If I had to do it all over again I probably wouldn't. I paid a shop to install. The cost plus hp gains weren't worth it.

If your looking for a mean sound, this is it. I'm not talking about annoying drone sound. I have little to no drone. The best way I can describe the sound is by what others tell me. They say it's sounds like a old muscle drag car. Plan and simple, mean! No one expects it.

I have arh 1 3/4", 3" o/r x pipe, to 2 1/2" bassani catback.

The headers provide a mean sound that no x pipe or loud exhaust like stingers alone can provide. BTW I hate the sound of borla stingers.

BoostedSVT03

Established Member
IF I had the motor out I would go with the Bassani midlength headers. And this is only because the motor is out.

I am at 600RWHP and here is why I have not done longtubes, Cost/gain and installation ease. ( I haven't had a need to drop the k member yet) But even if I did, I am not a fan of loosening the headers to do a clutch job.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
IF I had the motor out I would go with the Bassani midlength headers. And this is only because the motor is out.

I am at 600RWHP and here is why I have not done longtubes, Cost/gain and installation ease. ( I haven't had a need to drop the k member yet) But even if I did, I am not a fan of loosening the headers to do a clutch job.
I was told with arh headers you don't have to loosen any header bolts. Others might be different.

onefastcar

Established Member
I had full bassina exhaust system midlenth headers x pipe and cat back I loved the way it performed and sounded. The whole set up is for sale also I took my trans out a few times with the mid lent stayed in .I would do headers while the motor is out

badmpg03

Established Member
Already been said but you are not going to see a big boost on your combo

It's the sound. You can tame it down all you want, it's not the noise level when you go to LT's, its the tone. I have run LT's with cats and with some pretty heavy mufflers and sounded great just too tame for a weekend car. Now just LT ORX and Stingers. Sounds wicked.
I have heard Steeda, borla touring, quiet mufflers into an ORX and LT's...and almost went that route too. Screams up top, quiet when cruising, and no cats to eat up.

If the gains were 0 hp, I would still do it.

In a heartbeat. :)

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Already been said but you are not going to see a big boost on your combo

It's the sound. You can tame it down all you want, it's not the noise level when you go to LT's, its the tone. I have run LT's with cats and with some pretty heavy mufflers and sounded great just too tame for a weekend car. Now just LT ORX and Stingers. Sounds wicked.
I have heard Steeda, borla touring, quiet mufflers into an ORX and LT's...and almost went that route too. Screams up top, quiet when cruising, and no cats to eat up.

If the gains were 0 hp, I would still do it.

In a heartbeat. :)

Probably actually lose boost..

BoostedSVT03

Established Member
I was told with arh headers you don't have to loosen any header bolts. Others might be different.

I can confirm that. My arh's stayed in place while I dropped the tranny

This is good news to hear!!! Maybe someday when I decide to swap K Members, I will do this. Right now I only want a K member that will retain Coil Springs. But thats for another thread!

badmpg03

Established Member
Probably actually lose boost..

Correct, meant not seeing a big boost as in HP gain.
I actually didn't loose any boost from a stock manifolds, ORX, borla prior to LT's, but that is a pretty free flowing setup to start

Users who are viewing this thread