manifold/catted x ...tune ?

03ct cobra

Established Member
Hey guys I posted this ? In another forum but got no responses. Id like to keep my manifolds and put on a catted x....will I need a re tune. I know its a good idea but just wondering what the likely scenarios are...will it run rich/lean ? Mess up the idle ?I know that a re tune is the best way its just that the tune cost more than double what the part is. Any input is appreciated...maybe ill just order it and hang on to it till I get a fer more parts. Btw I already have a magnaflow cat back. Id love to get more sound/power but if its gonna screw things up without a tune I might hold off. Thanx in advance.

Anabolic

Banned
the only thing the tune does is optimize your current setup, a mid pipe will do nothing but add a few more hp/trq and make it sound good. if you want to get the most out of your pipe and setup,THEN you get a tune, OR if you run another 10psi of boost and convert the entire fuel system then you would NEED a tune. But to answer your question no you dont need a tune.

03ct cobra

Established Member
Thanx anabolic...that confirms my thoughts....id like to get the sound/little power out of a catted x but can't figure on spending that kind of money for a tune. We will see how it goes..maybe ill buy the part and hold onto it until I get more stuff then get a tune to justify the cost. Or maybe ill just go for it n see what happens....prob the latter..lol.

Anabolic

Banned
there will be no issues with upgrading to an x pipe with the OE tune, on the cobras you could go as much as 15psi of boost without needing a tune..

so just go for it man and throw it on the car then when you can get the tune to optimize your performance, watch wich catted mid-pipe you get some still throw MIL's because they're so free flowing they're almost light OFF road pipes so you might need MIL-eliminators anyways.

03ct cobra

Established Member
Thanx for the heads up...looking at the magnaflow but upr is looking good too..just read the fit could be a little off. I'm leaning tword the m/f ..their stuff seems to be top shelf u no. Prices r reasonable too. We will see..could be some sales coming up too...u never know. Plus the stainless steel m/f is gonna last a long time. I already have the m/f cat back and love the sound...not too harsh and no drone on the highway.

Users who are viewing this thread