Making/installing a custom rear strut tower brace

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
I just installed the BF IRS brace and decided while I have the trunk apart and a welder handy I'll go ahead and make/install a rear strut tower brace. Just wondered if anybody else has done this and if you have any pointers or pics you could share. I've got the plates made for the ends of the bar. Now I need to cut the bar to the right length and weld it all together. I'll weld the inside plates of the BF brace as well while I'm at it. Whole project should stiffen the rear up a bit. Again, any tips or pics of your experience would be appreciated.

Pete's 03

Where's my eating helmet?
Established Member
I've wondered about doing this as well, and the only thing that I've ever found was some cheap one on Ebay. It looked like it was more of a novelty piece than something that would actually work. Post pics for sure.

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
Yeah, I haven't seen an aftermarket one that I'm happy with. The two I've come across look like they are flimsy and have insufficient mounting (IMO). Like the saying goes, if you want it done right...

black 10th vert

Established Member
I have the Hans Racecraft version waiting to go in sometime this season, and I can assure you - it isn't a flimsy part! Going to add some weight to my vert, but I thinks it's a good trade off. The Hans comes with separate plates that tie it into the trunk floor - not just the tower tops like most I've seen. Very nicely powdercoated too.

Brian

tjs98gt

Established Member
subscribing, ive heard it makes a noticeable difference with an IRS so def something i may be interested in

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
I have the Hans Racecraft version waiting to go in sometime this season, and I can assure you - it isn't a flimsy part! Going to add some weight to my vert, but I thinks it's a good trade off. The Hans comes with separate plates that tie it into the trunk floor - not just the tower tops like most I've seen. Very nicely powdercoated too.

Brian

The mounting plate on that one is pretty thin IMO. Plus I'm getting this one for about $20. Considering powercoating it though, so that would add some cost. Not sure how much though. Might paint it...not sure yet. Not like anyone is ever going to see it anyway.

black 10th vert

Established Member
The mounting plate on that one is pretty thin IMO. Plus I'm getting this one for about $20. Considering powercoating it though, so that would add some cost. Not sure how much though. Might paint it...not sure yet. Not like anyone is ever going to see it anyway.

Good luck with your project. Just to clarify, though, nothing about the Hans piece is flimsy, plus it welds in, unlike others that just bolt to the tower tops. The Hans version reinforces the sides and bottom of the towers in addition to the lateral support of the brace itself. It's not the easiest one to install, though, because of the welding, plus you have to cut the trim panels to fit around it so it looks good.

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
I just got my CHE brace today. Real nice quality. I'll post up pics when I get it installed.

I was originally looking to get the Kenny Brown STB, but they aren't available any more. I liked the way they tied into the center of the trunk floor to triangulate the mounting. Regarding the CHE brace...that's what I'm talking about! It looks rather beefy and had I known about that one I might have just ordered it instead of trying to make one. The CHE puts the Hans unit to shame in respect to both structural design and cost! Hopefully I'll be able to make some progress today on my custom brace (the "honey do" list is a long one for today). I'll post pics when I actually get it installed.

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
Just to clarify, though, nothing about the Hans piece is flimsy, plus it welds in, unlike others that just bolt to the tower tops. The Hans version reinforces the sides and bottom of the towers in addition to the lateral support of the brace itself.

What I don't like about the Hans is that the brace section at the end's of the bar is barely wider than the bar itself, making the area of influence of the lateral forces concentrate in a small area which could deform the mounting point under repeated high loads (i.e. open track racing/driving). The other areas of the brace are just thin plates cantelevered off the main brace mounting point and provide no support to the brace itself. If you look at the CHE brace, the mounting plates are gussetted where the bar connects, providing a much more rigid mounting point. Plus the CHE plates appear thicker than the Hans plates as well. No comparison IMO. That said, the Hans unit should be fine for a street car. Those looking for more rear support should seek another option, however...again IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread