Making a table

PureStang

Established Member
I just aquired a 55 gallon whiskey barrel from a friend. I am going to stain this with a warmer color, wire brush the bands then lacquer them to prevent rust, and then looking to do a high top table. Only thing is I dont know where to start with building one. Im thinking about doing a round wood table top, with a glass center to show the markings on the top of the barrel.

Anyone familiar with what i am trying to do and how to accomplish this?

For reference, here is what I am working with:

photo1-1_zpsae5e6e84.jpg

photo2_zpsdd2187de.jpg

canibus

Established Member
Just get a 5' glass circle. 3/8" minimum. 1/2" would look killer though more expensive. Add chairs and be done

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
If you could get a piece of glass cut to fit perfectly inside the top lip, and with the same thickness as lip depth it would look great.

PureStang

Established Member
Any ideas to fasten the glass to the table? Looking to make this something like a table to eat at, i.e. breakfast nook in my kitchen..

99GTvert

Established Member
Maybe take some 2X8's on end and then cut 3 or 4 contoured pieces to rest the glass on stained to match the barrel. You could go thicker or thinner depending how high you want the glass to sit.

bluebosss197

im did asbestos i can
Established Member
Any ideas to fasten the glass to the table? Looking to make this something like a table to eat at, i.e. breakfast nook in my kitchen..

Get whatever shape of top glass you want cut at the above suggested thickness, as long as it is bigger than the diameter of the rim. Then get a piece of glass the thickness of the gap between the lid and the rim and cut to fit just inside the inside diameter. They make glass epoxy that dries clear and mate the two pieces together making sure to center whatever top cut you get with the centering circle cut. You would probably coat the entire surface area of the glass disk with epoxy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread