Make the exhaust quieter without plugging it up

QTR

STAGE 3
Established Member
So, my car has an o/r X and Bassani a/b's. It sounds great, but, very loud.

I don't wanna put the cats on again. So I was scouring the web looking for ideas, and saw that some car people are you using a second set of mufflers before the axle back, something like the flo-pro twisters, dynomax bullets, cherry bomb glasspacks etc..

What I'm asking is, has any of you guys done this ? What did you use and what was the result ?

I need the most effective solution to tame this sound. It's very loud. I don't want cats, or to change the axle backs at the moment.

TL;DR : Car too loud, need more quiet. Solution?

AJ

grnenvy

Established Member
I know u said u don't want cats on the car but if u like the sound but its to loud your best choice are high flow cats from JBA. My car was way to loud and the JBAs fixed it they do a great job muffling the noise without any pwr loss . They bolt right in it took me about 2hrs not even.

QTR

STAGE 3
Established Member
I know u said u don't want cats on the car but if u like the sound but its to loud your best choice are high flow cats from JBA. My car was way to loud and the JBAs fixed it they do a great job muffling the noise without any pwr loss . They bolt right in it took me about 2hrs not even.

I'm supercharged, would there be any risk they could be plugged up and make my engine blow up (again) :shrug:

QTR

STAGE 3
Established Member
LOL, not this shit again. :D

I know some of you guys believe strongly that a mustang "should" be loud. I don't mind actually. Just try coming here and explaining that to the cops when your car is getting impounded for being too loud :loser:

5PNTSLW

Back on the Saddle
Established Member
I had dynomax bullets welded in to add to my Magnaflow comp catback, while it did quiet it down a little, it was not much. it did deepen the tone a bit and clean up some of my rasp/popping tho as a muffler should. The dynomax website even states it will only reduce it ~4db or so which is not a lot. I think you would need a chambered style muffler or something that is going to completely change the dynamic of the exhaust to help quiet it down substantially.

I have also heard a few people state that the addition to LT's on there car helped quiet it a bit. I'm not sure how much sense this makes, but maybe look that up as an option and see if you think it makes sense to you.

Jayme

Driver Mod
Established Member
I'd also try to Dynomax Bullets welded in. I have some and it really reduced the in-cockpit noise.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member

+juan

JBA's did a great job on my car too and they sound better than the gt500

EDITTTTT

I have the JBA AXLE backs! they muffle very well!

Last edited:

OveRBoreD

Established Member
I have a set of the dynomax bullets with my o/r x and roush. Really quieted it down inside and at part throttle. At WOT its still blistering inside and out but is more tolerable. The bullets really cleaned up the sound which was nice. Highly recommend it.

kingnut

Established Member
power with the least amount of noise for me. i dont need everyone hearing me from a mile away.

5150Mustang

302 Fanatic
Established Member
i have a set of SLOWmaster american thunders with a Lethal o/x, its not so much loud as it is droning. . .at 75-80 its pretty intense inside the car. . .i might get some what better because i took my my rear seat delete and nitrous bottle mounting stuff i made. i am thinking seriously about doing this:

Pypes LTs and X

electronic cut outs

stock mufflers

that way i can have the cam tune sound epic through the cut outs and than when its time to just shut up and drive i have no issues. . .

has anyone heard a stock muffler with an o/x pipe ???? ( sound gay ? or is it ok ? )

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
Ditch the loud bassani's. My car with cat delete and Flow master American Thunder's is a great mix of loud when your on it but quiet when your just cruising around. Also, it is very deep, with no rasp up top.

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member
has anyone heard a stock muffler with an o/x pipe ???? ( sound gay ? or is it ok ? )
I will be putting my stocks back on so I can paint my mufflers black. I will post a
Thread when I get them on. I have a cattless x and no resonators. Lund cam tune is in right now too.

Sly Fox

Established Member
I have GT500's I would trade with cash for the Bassani's.......just throwing that out there

Users who are viewing this thread