Major Sputtering and Hesitation

RichM1983

Established Member
Hey guys I need some help. I tried to search on google and on here and couldn't find a similar symptom to what I have happening.

The problem..... Today I took a guy for a ride in the Cobra after work. I started the car up and pulled out of the lot and coasted down a hill. The car ran for maybe 1-2 minutes and when I pulled out on the road I proceeded to beat on it a little. The temp. gauge was still low. The engine had not warmed up.

When accelerating the car would hesitate and sputter really bad. It did this over and over. 1st and 2nd would do it every time I tried to do a pull. Once the car was warmed up to normal it would run and not hesitate at all, or at least I couldn't feel it. It was almost like the traction control was kicking in but it was definitely turned off.

Is this normal since the car was still cold? Thanks for the help in advance.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
is it normal since the car was cold? prob not "normal"...but dude...that is like, rule #1 (or #2). you DONT beat on the car, until it is warmed up, and in proper operating temp. it is BAD for the car/engine....and could very well be why the car was acting funny.

RichM1983

Established Member
Mods: 2.8 pulley, Bassani exhaust with a catted x, C&L Maf, and a CAI.

I don't think any damage was done becuase the car was runnig excellent once warm.

So can I simply blame this on an engine that was still cold?

Temps were about 50* and the car had been running for about 2 minutes before taking off but the gauge was still reading cold.....

Hopefully nothing is wrong or no damage was done.

hotcobra03

Established Member
fwiw...i had mine since new,,,its a dd+....it just turned 311k...

of all the cold starts its had,,i do recall having this issue when my head went the 1st time...

had to hold gas on till engine warmed up...i just sent it in being it was under warrenty..

maybe a compression test will show a problem...

how about back bumper?any oil showing if you wipe your finger on it?

RichM1983

Established Member
fwiw...i had mine since new,,,its a dd+....it just turned 311k...

of all the cold starts its had,,i do recall having this issue when my head went the 1st time...

had to hold gas on till engine warmed up...i just sent it in being it was under warrenty..

maybe a compression test will show a problem...

how about back bumper?any oil showing if you wipe your finger on it?

I think we had different issues. The car runs fine and drives fine cold or hot. BUT when cold if you are cruising and stab it it hesitates and stutters. Once warmed up it works perfectly. No problems whatsoever.

RichM1983

Established Member
The car custom tuned?

I would think either an FRPS(Maybe) or likely a PPRV.

Could those things only cause an issue while the engine was cold but not when warm? Car has always ran great before up until this day. And it ran great after the car warmed up and did fine. I could beat on it all I wanted and no stutter or hesitation.

MGC

Established Member
sounds like the car was just not warmed up, i've experienced something similar, now I always let it idle for about 10 minutes and then drive it easy for the first few miles to warm up the drivetrain.

RichM1983

Established Member
sounds like the car was just not warmed up, i've experienced something similar, now I always let it idle for about 10 minutes and then drive it easy for the first few miles to warm up the drivetrain.

Awesome. Someone who had the same thing happen. I think it was normal for the being cold. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread