Major re-vamp, round 2...questions

keebs888

Predictably unpredictable
Established Member
Ok, here's the dealio:

I'm about to install an aluminum flywheel, spec stage 2 clutch, underdrive pullies, long tubes, x-pipe, and some other wonderful things on my '96. Here are my quesions:

What should the flywheel be balanced to?
I've heard that a 99+ later pump is a direct bolt-on and yields better cooling. True?

Is there a smog pump that can be bypassed with a short belt like on a fox?

Is/are there any other thing(s) I need to get that would be good to install at the same time?

Thanks in advance for the replies; I want to do this correct the first time.

-keith

Last edited:

97cobraheaven

Established Member
with your new clutch, go ahead and get a firewall adjuster and quadrant. my TOB just started whining on my spec 2 at 1000miles. if i put the slightest pressure on the clutch pedal while driving the whine goes away. you can get rid of the smog stuff with a tune.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Smog pump is an electrical unit that sits in the passenger fender. You will need a tune to keep the cel off if you disconnect it.

I've never heard af anyone having to balance the flywheel. It should come ready to bolt on.

The 99-01 Cbra water pumps will bolt on and are better than the unit found on 96-98's.

I agree with 97cobraheaven. Get a firewall adjuster and quadrant. I would also recommend the pedal height adjuster from steeda. It will allow you to lower the clutch pedal without the slack you get with just the adjuster/quadrant.

Last edited:

Labora

Is that a Fobra?
Established Member
CY98Cobra said:
I've never heard af anyone having to balance the flywheel. It should come ready to bolt on.

I dunno what the correct balance is. But I can tell you that it doesn't hurt to check the balance on the flywheel. A good friend of mine ordered a flywheel from spec and put it in only to have imbalance issues with it. Pulled it out and had it checked the balance was off on it!

Last edited:

raven69david

Blown & Cammed
Established Member
The flywheel for a 302 needs to be a 50oz unit. 351's basically use the 28oz flywheels. The flywheel does not need to be balanced. The flywheel does not weigh 50oz either. 50oz is the external balance weight.

mitch

Established Member
CY98Cobra said:
Smog pump is an electrical unit that sits in the passenger fender. You will need a tune to keep the cel off if you disconnect it.

What type of tuner can be used to turn off the smog pump?

Users who are viewing this thread