major newbie joining the ranks

Pr|SM

Established Member
hey guys...im a major automotive newbie so don't laugh at me dammit :D

but i think im starting off on the right foot because i want a Mustang. i have a car right now but its only been a utility car to get me from point A to point B, nothing special about it. it's time for me to get a new car though and it's going to be a Mustang. i've wanted one for a long time now (ever since my high school buddy got me hooked on his about 4 years ago) but didn't have the financial means to get one.

so my major question to you guys is: what do you suggest i look for? i really like the '90-93 body styles but wouldn't balk at going up to a '94 or '95 for the 5.0. i don't think that at this point i could afford a 99+ plus the cost of insurance, but if i do find a great deal on one though, then i probably would go for it. as for right now im concentrating on early '90s. are there any particular years that you suggest for a first-time Mustang buyer?

also, are there any other websites and forums that you guys like to go to that have a lot of good information for me?

thanks a lot...i appreciate it!

Ripper

And Then Some............
Established Member
Originally posted by Pr|SM
hey guys...im a major automotive newbie so don't laugh at me dammit :D

but i think im starting off on the right foot because i want a Mustang. i have a car right now but its only been a utility car to get me from point A to point B, nothing special about it. it's time for me to get a new car though and it's going to be a Mustang. i've wanted one for a long time now (ever since my high school buddy got me hooked on his about 4 years ago) but didn't have the financial means to get one.

so my major question to you guys is: what do you suggest i look for? i really like the '90-93 body styles but wouldn't balk at going up to a '94 or '95 for the 5.0. i don't think that at this point i could afford a 99+ plus the cost of insurance, but if i do find a great deal on one though, then i probably would go for it. as for right now im concentrating on early '90s. are there any particular years that you suggest for a first-time Mustang buyer?

also, are there any other websites and forums that you guys like to go to that have a lot of good information for me?

thanks a lot...i appreciate it!

Stick Around ! Unfortuantly this forum isn't the most free flowing ! :(

I'd go with a 87-93 myself. Easier and cheaper to make them go fast because of all the parts availability and there a lil lighter than 94 - 95 !

Plus it's so expensive to modify a 4.6 compared to a 5.0 !

Grim's Reaper

NEXT.....................
Established Member
Plus it's so expensive to modify a 4.6 compared to a 5.0 !
I'm feeling the pinch of this as we speak!:D Anyway, if the $$ is thin, than think about getting into an older 5.0. If you like the newer body styles you could probably find a nice 94-95 with the same 5.0 engine for a decent price tag.
Good luck on your search:beer:

Pr|SM

Established Member
thanks a lot guys...

i like the pre '94 body style better then the newer ones, which is why im leaning more that way. i do like the 00+ styles a lot too but im guessing the prices might be too steep. im going to shoot for a '91 i think.

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
I second the idea of going for the 87-93 5.0. Try and get a GT, instead of an LX with a 5.0. Or, you could try and find a 93 Cobra and start getting a lot more feedback in the sn-93 forum because not too many people post in this forum. Definitely go with the 5.0 over the 4.6. Parts are everywhere for it, and they are cheap. Plus you will LOVE the rumble it has!

Andrew

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
I have a 1990 Mustang 5.0 coupe for sale (pics in the sig):
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44946

attachment.php

Here is one of the pics of my car :thumbsup:

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
Thanks
After driving it again after about 3 days of not driving it, I'm having second thoughts about saling it. . . . . .again :D

I'd love to add a 351w based stroker and something that makes a "whining noise" ;) but that's too much $$ for now :whine:

Oh well, I don't need 600hp. . . . .unless I'm late for class :thumbsup:

BAD03SVT

Established Member
the lx coupes are lighter than the GTs though. although you can usually find the GTs cheaper. make sure to get 89-92 that way you get mass air and forged pistons

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Originally posted by snakeluvr
the lx coupes are lighter than the GTs though. although you can usually find the GTs cheaper. make sure to get 89-92 that way you get mass air and forged pistons

Yup or u might be stuck in making a decision in converting the earlier ones for a MAF....which is to much work & money spent.

Wild Bill

Established Member
My 02 black gt vert is for sale.Dynoed at 251rwhp 294rwt.It has parchment top and leather interior.Also has mach 1000.18k miles. I'll take 20k.I want to get the mach 1.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Originally posted by Scream'nCobra
Definitely go with the 5.0 over the 4.6. Parts are everywhere for it, and they are cheap. Plus you will LOVE the rumble it has!

Andrew

True about the price, I kinda like the rumble of my lil 4.6 though ;-)

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Originally posted by Grim's Reaper
me too,....:-D
Don, those are some strong times in your sig coming from that GT of yours.
Remember that's the old stuff.
Mods were.
3:73 gears, Basanni catted X, Steeda TA & under drives, Steeda UCA & LCA's, Densecharger (complete)

Grim's Reaper

NEXT.....................
Established Member
Originally posted by GR8WHITE
Remember that's the old stuff.
Mods were.
3:73 gears, Basanni catted X, Steeda TA & under drives, Steeda UCA & LCA's, Densecharger (complete)
after a list like this there is only one more thing to say... what are the new times?:burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread