Maintenance

Helix

The Beast
Established Member
For those of us running Mobile 1 5w-20 how often does it need changed 3,000 miles or more? I'm getting close to 3,000 so I thought I would ask before I changed it. What about tranny? 10,000 miles? I have 7800 on the L right now. Just drain the trans pan and fill it back up or get a complete flush torque convertor and all? Any recommended ATF? What about the supercharger, does it require anything special? I am thinking about switching my rear end oil to mobile 1 or Lucas. Any input on this would be nice too. What weight? Just basically everything I need to do around every 10,000 miles.

Thanks,

Helix

Justin@JDM

Established Member
Originally posted by Helix
For those of us running Mobile 1 5w-20 how often does it need changed 3,000 miles or more? I'm getting close to 3,000 so I thought I would ask before I changed it. What about tranny? 10,000 miles? I have 7800 on the L right now. Just drain the trans pan and fill it back up or get a complete flush torque convertor and all? Any recommended ATF? What about the supercharger, does it require anything special? I am thinking about switching my rear end oil to mobile 1 or Lucas. Any input on this would be nice too. What weight? Just basically everything I need to do around every 10,000 miles.

Thanks,

Helix

Helix,

Yes, change the oil every 3,000 miles. It's just proper maintanence. I like to see people change the tranny fluid every 15,000 miles. It look slike you have an 03 and I don't belive they have a converter drain plug so you would have to go to a dealership and they have a machine that sucks everything out and puts new fluid right back in. This is the most important info here, only use Ford Mercon III.

Hope this helps,

Justin@JDM

BillArf

Established Member
Originally posted by Helix

Thanks,

Helix

Helix, IF you are using full synthetic then really changing at 3,000 miles is overkill. You could go to 5,000 at least.. Read the studies and decide. One thing is change your fuel filter! As for the tranny, why not at this point go with a FTVB. You will need to pull the pan for the install and you can then change the tranny filter and use new tranny fluid. Yes, a little tranny fluid will remain in the converter but no bigge. The FTVB is one of the best mods you will do and I think others with it will tell you that also. As was mentined in an earlier post here. NEVER EVER use Mercon 5 in an L's tranny as it will do seal damage . Only use Mercon / Dextron III you find say in AutoZone. Regardless of what a Mercon 5 label says NEVER EVER use it in an L!!!! Oh, the FTVB install is easy for most anyone!

Last edited:

ITHAULS

GIT'R DUN
Established Member
One thing is change your fuel filter!
How often? I've heard that it's more frequent on the L's than other cars. As for tranny fluid changes...15,000 sounds way early to me. I know this is a matter of opinion, and this sounds crazy, but as a transmission shop manager, I don't see any benefit to changing transmission fluid at all. Thats right, I said at all. Engine oil is exposed to the combustion of the engine which breaks it down. Trans fluid is hydraulic fluid which does not really 'wear out'. That's why Ford does not have a drain plug on the torque converter; there's no use for it. Now, older cars (pre '80's) with the old style clutches need frequent fluid changes because the clutches constantly produced material which clogged up the filter over time. They need frequent fluid changes. Newer vehicles with electronic solonoids cannot function with contaminated fluid, so they use (newer type) clutches which do not produce material with normal wear. If your tranny is producing enough material to clog the filter then it has a problem. I get calls weekly from people who tell me their trans worked fine UNTIL they changed the fluid. I have never seen a transmission fail from not changing the fluid. Ask anyone who builds transmissions for a living and I'll bet you they never change the fluid in their personal cars. Sorry to ramble, just didn't want to throw that out there without an explanation. Something to think about and make your own opinion on.:)

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
well i was going to change out my tranny fluid this winter when i do the ftvb
and my 2000 has a drain in the converter(not sure when they stoped this)
anyway i was going to put redline back in the tranny after the install
whats your opinion on that?:-D

Users who are viewing this thread