main hoop mount for roll bar

Fast99Snake

IRS'd GT
Established Member
I'm going to be putting an sw racecars weld in 4 point rollbar in my car this upcoming week, and am debating how I want to mount the main hoop.

Car has thru the floor subframe, and am debating whether to do kickouts tied into the rocker panels to use as a mounting surface for the main hoop, OR...

wouldn't it just be easier to mount the main hoop onto the bulkhead like MM is doing on their new 05+ rollbars?? Is the bulkhead not strong enough in our cars?(doubtful) why don't more people just do this?

rollcage1.jpg

and the 05+ mount

05rollcage.gif

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
My cage main hoop is mounted on the bulkhead in the pic above with reinforcement/mount plates welded over the top and sides of the bulkhead.

David Hester

Established Member
L shaped mounting plate works on bulkhead or to rocker panel. Point is....no pun intended.. mounting plate that covers in 2 planes is better than one plane. I have seen single plane plates punch through floorboards, even with backing plate underneath. There is a picture somewhere on internet of a Mustang that landed upside down and ends of rollbar where shown poking out the bottom of the car. In Linda's crash, one of the front kickers to the floorboard punched through on passenger side.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
That was at Hallett a few years ago. Search on here I think theres a post about that incident.

Fast99Snake

IRS'd GT
Established Member
I've seen the pic, can't imagine the bar would be able to punch through the bulkhead if welded on properly?!?!
I think that's how I'm going to end up doing it, on the bulkhead

David Hester

Established Member
SW race cars appears to be mainly drag cars. Be sure your rear kickers are straight and not curved or bent to fit. Not SCCA or NASA legal. Using a L plate should be good either way- floorboard/ sill or floorboard/ rocker panel or bulkhead over and down. I like the MM, but would still weld instead of bolt, if I already had out my welder. ;-) I had a AutoPower bolt in years ago that we bolted in took out bolts one by one and welded. That is the cage Linda crash tested. It worked!

David Hester

Established Member
:banana: Sounds good. I looked at their site and they had both. The 79-93 Mustang "street bar" listed wouldn't work. They have disclaimers on them.:thumbsup:
Had a buddy that was getting one put in by a shop in Nashville. They were going to put in curved bars and he wanted to do NASA/ SCCA events. NASA/SCCA would have not let him out, I'm afraid. Shop looked at the rule book passages I sent him, and "custom made" him some straight kickers. All's well! Pays to look at rule books, before forking over cash. ;-)

Also want to look at DOM (good!) vs ERW (bad!) tubing.

Users who are viewing this thread