Maiden voyage.. X-country in 2.5 days

EricMcIntire

Established Member
yeah I bought the csvt less than a week ago and I had to drive it from boston to beverly hills. I was a little nervous the first 900 miles but she ran just fine. best mileage I got was around 29-30 mpg that was from vegas to LA. I was averaging 85. worst I got was through new york and it was about 24. found out there is a BIG difference between setting the cruise at 85 and at 75. 85 averaged me around 24-25 where 75 got me 27-28. I came across a newer yellow couar in the desert at around 3:30 am and decided to see what she had. got up to 125 and just saw headlights, but then my car's own headlights started to dim, not sure what that was all about. acutally whenever I get above 4500 rpms my battery light goes on and I lose electrical power. any Ideas? so when I was going 125 I was spinning at about 5600 and my headlights went very dim. but the motor was strong, I couldn't believe how easily it ran that fast. cornering through the mountains was a blast. but my CEL came on in colorado for unknown reasons but no performance sags at all. what a good time.

JCSVT

V6 Powa!!
Established Member
Your battery light is on because you alternator is probably going out. Might want to get that checked out when you get the time.

I also notice the difference between 75mph and 85mph. The Duratec drinks gas wheen it's above 3500rpm. I try to keep it at 75 during road trips but that doesn't happen often. When I drove it home from South Carolina I managed to average 30mph though.

The BigSHO

Established Member
Besides checking your alternator, check your battery and make sure your belt is reasonably tight.

CEL is probably an O2 sensor. I'd pull codes and fix that problem too.

Users who are viewing this thread