magnapacks welded into stock exhaust

Mr. Jack

Established Member
Is this a bad move?

I know that a catback is the only move for horsepower gains, but unfortunately my budget is not allowing this.

I need some more sound. It's WAY too quiet right now.

My local muffler shop said they could do it for 300 bucks (CDN) whereas a whole catback would be closer to 800-1000 bucks (CDN). Take into consideration that you can't even get a magnapack catback for the Cobra right now. I will have to buy the mufflers down the line anyways when I decide to do the entire thing.

Thoughts?

RickSvt

Its Fast
Established Member
You can get the mufflers for about 60 each american. I think for 300c they should through in some nice tips too

Rick

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
I believe you can get a magnaflow catback for $350US from complete exhaust what is that CDN?

Mr. Jack

Established Member
Originally posted by dgussin1
I believe you can get a magnaflow catback for $350US from complete exhaust what is that CDN?

I think that's about 500 and change Canadian dollars. The problem is I would probably get shanked at the border. The government would probably charge me taxes (15%...ain't it great to be Canadian?) and duty. Not to mention the cost of shipping it up here. I think it would be cost prohibitive.

And of course, there is no Magnapack catback available as of yet.

Pale Snake

Established Member
Thats exactly what I did (magnapacks welded in) and I was, and still am very happy with the results. Welding in the packs will surprize you as to what a nice difference from stock. Good luck.

RickSvt

Its Fast
Established Member
I believe that you are duty free just as long as its under like 800. I dont know for sure, but I think thats it. Just make a trip accros the border and pick it up......

Rick

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
Originally posted by RickSvt
I believe that you are duty free just as long as its under like 800. I dont know for sure, but I think thats it. Just make a trip accros the border and pick it up......

Rick
or he can drive across, get it installed and drive back.:beer:

CobraGirlSVT

Established Member
I think it's a waste of money.

My stock exhaust is in a shed in the side yard, where it belongs.

Mr. Jack

Established Member
Originally posted by Pale Snake
Thats exactly what I did (magnapacks welded in) and I was, and still am very happy with the results. Welding in the packs will surprize you as to what a nice difference from stock. Good luck.

How did you find the loudness? My worry is that they are not going to be a lot louder than stock because of the 2.25 piping. Did you find a big difference?

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I did weld in mufflers at first, sooner or later down the road you will wish you had just bought the catback. The tips, complete mandrel bent piping and mufflers meant to fit on your car in a package is worth the $$ IMO. I would just wait till you could afford it and install it yourself to save the $.

Pale Snake

Established Member
The sound level was perfect, decent at lower round town driving and hard core at full throttle. Ive since added a catted Mrt hpipe and it just made them bellow deeper. Its a smart move in my opinion as the mufflers are the main restriction in the cat back. I didnt see the sense in shitcanning a brand new stainless catback for a few horse. My car made 411 rwhp 385 rwtq dynojet corr with just a drop in K&N and welded in magnapacks, so dont worry. Besides I'm sure with the money you save you could get a kick ass CAI or pulley and idler. Take care

Mr. Jack

Established Member
Originally posted by Pale Snake
The sound level was perfect, decent at lower round town driving and hard core at full throttle. Ive since added a catted Mrt hpipe and it just made them bellow deeper. Its a smart move in my opinion as the mufflers are the main restriction in the cat back. I didnt see the sense in shitcanning a brand new stainless catback for a few horse. My car made 411 rwhp 385 rwtq dynojet corr with just a drop in K&N and welded in magnapacks, so dont worry. Besides I'm sure with the money you save you could get a kick ass CAI or pulley and idler. Take care

Last question: Did you weld in the 14" inchers? (I'm looking at part #14491 with the 2.25 in and out obviously)

lifter213

Established Member
I dont think its worth it. I'd just save my money untill you can afford the whole catback. If your wanting the Magnapacks on there when you do get someting i'd suggest just buying the Borla Stingers. They have the louder mufflers and better exhaust tips. I think i'm going to end up ditching my magnaflow catback here pretty soon and going with the Stingers instead.

Mr. Jack

Established Member
Really? I've heard that the Magnapacks are louder.

I heard/saw a video on here with the Packs and Stingers side by side and Packs were a little louder. But, that was with different mid-pipes so it wasn't an apples to apples comparison.

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
Originally posted by Mr. Jack
Really? I've heard that the Magnapacks are louder.

I heard/saw a video on here with the Packs and Stingers side by side and Packs were a little louder. But, that was with different mid-pipes so it wasn't an apples to apples comparison.
I would say that the stinger catback will be louder than packs welded into the stock catback. Although apples to apples the packs are louder.

Brad

Banned
I just welded in some piping onto the magnapack mufflers so I could clamp the muffler in. I don't like welding it up for the fact I change my exhaust setup so much.

Users who are viewing this thread