Magnafuel vs Fuel Lab vs parallel Walbros ?

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
I'm getting close to finishing my car but I've been hung up on this fuel system. I have a BBRC sumped tank and I cannot decide which pump will be the most streetable. I can't find much recent info/results on which route is the best. I've been leaning toward the Fuel Lab 1800hp prodigy pump with their electronic fuel pressure regulator. The regulator is still boost/vacuum reference and has a processor that sends a signal to the pump to slow it down for normal driving and speeds it up when the regulator sees boost. I've spoken with Chris at BBRC quite a bit about my setup and he said he's never seen a pump fail with the electronic FPR. But I'm curious as to how many of you are running either the magnafuel, aeromotive, or parallel walbro/bosch pumps and what the results are.

My setup is a standard inlet 3.4 whipple, Division X rails, Bosch 105lb injectors etc. The car will be seeing C85 and an extremely conservative pump gas tune as a backup/around town driving setup. It will be a street car.

03mustang92

1of154
Established Member
redstanger is local here and had nothing but bad luck with the fuel lab pump (42402), never ran the electric regulator, he always had a aeromotive fpr. He switched to the external magnafuel 4303 and had really good luck with it, just a little noisy. Never ran the walbros, but those are just some real world experiences.

But i believe he sent in his fuellab pump twice for service with less than 50 hours on each (he ran e85)

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
I would get the magna fuel 625 or the 750 personally. I have the magnafuel 750 and made 1000 rwhp. so that pump will give you room to grow

fuel lab's are not bad but I trust magnafuel a lot more

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
redstanger is local here and had nothing but bad luck with the fuel lab pump (42402), never ran the electric regulator, he always had a aeromotive fpr. He switched to the external magnafuel 4303 and had really good luck with it, just a little noisy. Never ran the walbros, but those are just some real world experiences.

But i believe he sent in his fuellab pump twice for service with less than 50 hours on each (he ran e85)

I would get the magna fuel 625 or the 750 personally. I have the magnafuel 750 and made 1000 rwhp. so that pump will give you room to grow

fuel lab's are not bad but I trust magnafuel a lot more

A friend of mine ran a fuel lab pump on his 1000+whp C6 and he had good luck with it. It was also a street car too. Another friend of his ran a magnafuel on his f body and had nothing but bad luck with it :shrug: there's obviously good and bad with everything, but I guess I'm just looking for some results. I'm getting ready to just sell everything and go back to ole reliability lol

Lights of Speed

can i has 9's?
Established Member
Go with a single Magnafuel 750, you will not be disappointed. I also recommend the twin relay wiring kit from Magnafuel that they recommend with all their pumps.

Last edited:

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
no that pump (what I run) should support 1000whp+ on E85.

I've been getting so many mixed reviews on all these different pumps. Out of everything I've gone through with these cars, this topic has by far had the most vast reviews loll it's amazing. I think I've made my choice then, I like the reliability (or so it seems) of the 4303 magnafuel. Out of all the research I've done, it seems to be the winning ticket. I'm not about to take a chance on the fuel lab stuff. No money, time or patience to screw around with possible failures. Thanks for the input Jake :beer:

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
I've been getting so many mixed reviews on all these different pumps. Out of everything I've gone through with these cars, this topic has by far had the most vast reviews loll it's amazing. I think I've made my choice then, I like the reliability (or so it seems) of the 4303 magnafuel. Out of all the research I've done, it seems to be the winning ticket. I'm not about to take a chance on the fuel lab stuff. No money, time or patience to screw around with possible failures. Thanks for the input Jake :beer:

My only experience with Fuel Lab was a friend (TRBO VNM on here) had lots of issues with them over heating on long drives. He would have to stop and pull over and let them cool off.

Call Magnafuel on Monday and talk to them about street driving / cruising. They are very helpful. Weldon is also a good pump but I believe for the street duty they want you to use a controller.

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
My only experience with Fuel Lab was a friend (TRBO VNM on here) had lots of issues with them over heating on long drives. He would have to stop and pull over and let them cool off.

Call Magnafuel on Monday and talk to them about street driving / cruising. They are very helpful. Weldon is also a good pump but I believe for the street duty they want you to use a controller.

It seems like Weldon's are old faithful. I considered one but I kind of strayed away from it because of needing the controller. I want to keep things as simple as possible since some guys have issues with the pumps stepping down/up. I know several guys running the 4303 magnafuels in street cars with good luck. I'm gonna give them a call Monday and see what they say

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
It seems like Weldon's are old faithful. I considered one but I kind of strayed away from it because of needing the controller. I want to keep things as simple as possible since some guys have issues with the pumps stepping down/up. I know several guys running the 4303 magnafuels in street cars with good luck. I'm gonna give them a call Monday and see what they say

Agree…I always try to be as simple as possible and so far Ive never had an issue with any aftermarket stuff since I started this game in 2005.

redstanger

Established Member
I went through three fuelab pumps (there largest). Ive got lucky when it did stop it was mostly cruising(not long enough to over heat). I did have one go out at WOT and thank goodness nothing happen. I ran the 4303 pump(its loud!) but i resently changed to walbro 465's(three of them). They are quite and flow way more than the 4303 pump would ever dream of. The magnafuel i had ran constant all the time one speed never had any problems cruising ect. The fuel hat im running now is CP-E's triple hat. reason i went external was because they didnt have these large pumps around then. Now days there isnt any reason to run external.

here is the magnafuel 4303 vs magnaflow exhaust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9bnxwzco-Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ5YbUYZzT4

Last edited:

Lights of Speed

can i has 9's?
Established Member
Won't it be working pretty hard to support 750-800 on e85?

I'm not sure the exact limits. I do know of a guy who maxed his out somewhere around the 850 range on e85. My car makes around 750 through sd80's so the base pressure is sky high. It looks like we are running similar setups except injectors BTW.

Here's a pic of how I mounted mine, its a very nice looking pump.

IMAG0458_1_zps3b963f24.jpg

Last edited:

97LaserRed

Fresh
Established Member
I also have magna fuel 750. Very streetable. No issues here. I will be running e85 this summer. Probably going to be close to 4 digit power numbers on e85

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
Agree…I always try to be as simple as possible and so far Ive never had an issue with any aftermarket stuff since I started this game in 2005.

That makes 2 of us!

I went through three fuelab pumps (there largest). Ive got lucky when it did stop it was mostly cruising(not long enough to over heat). I did have one go out at WOT and thank goodness nothing happen. I ran the 4303 pump(its loud!) but i resently changed to walbro 465's(three of them). They are quite and flow way more than the 4303 pump would ever dream of. The magnafuel i had ran constant all the time one speed never had any problems cruising ect. The fuel hat im running now is CP-E's triple hat. reason i went external was because they didnt have these large pumps around then. Now days there isnt any reason to run external.

here is the magnafuel 4303 vs magnaflow exhaust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9bnxwzco-Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ5YbUYZzT4

Definitely not quiet by any means. Doesn't really bother me at all so I don't mind

I'm not sure the exact limits. I do know of a guy who maxed his out somewhere around the 850 range on e85. My car makes around 750 through sd80's so the base pressure is sky high. It looks like we are running similar setups except injectors BTW.

Here's a pic of how I mounted mine, its a very nice looking pump.

IMAG0458_1_zps3b963f24.jpg

What are the rest of the details on your setup? I see you chose to mount it at sump level, any specific reason? I was always under the assumption that these pumps can be mounted up behind the bumper without issue

I also have magna fuel 750. Very streetable. No issues here. I will be running e85 this summer. Probably going to be close to 4 digit power numbers on e85

If I didn't already have the tank I would probably go with triple walbros, but it seems like the magnafuel will work fine

Lights of Speed

can i has 9's?
Established Member
My setup is a stock compression .020 built motor, stock heads/cams, non crusher 3.4 gen2 whipple, 3.5 upper/stock lower, metco idlers, jlt gen2 Cai, longtubes, stock t56 w/rxt clutch. My fuel system is fragola line, -10 feed/-8 return, magnafuel 750, 2 jegs stainless filters, sumped stock tank, fore rails, fore regulator, and sd80's on pump e85. I mounted the pump the way I did just for looks but most people mount them much higher. I am a little worried about it hitting the ground at the track though.

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
My setup is a stock compression .020 built motor, stock heads/cams, non crusher 3.4 gen2 whipple, 3.5 upper/stock lower, metco idlers, jlt gen2 Cai, longtubes, stock t56 w/rxt clutch. My fuel system is fragola line, -10 feed/-8 return, magnafuel 750, 2 jegs stainless filters, sumped stock tank, fore rails, fore regulator, and sd80's on pump e85. I mounted the pump the way I did just for looks but most people mount them much higher. I am a little worried about it hitting the ground at the track though.

wow really is almost identical. My tank hangs super low, it actually blocks the view of the tailpipes lol how do you like the 3.4 setup so far? Can't wait to finish mine up. What'd it make for boost with the 3.5" upper?

Users who are viewing this thread