magnaflows

BULL

Established Member
how much if any drone with these cat backs and stock h ?

Last edited:

OrigTXCobra

Mustang Nut!
Established Member
Varying opinions on this...some say it does, other say not at all. I hope the answer is not much or all. Mine should be here Tuesday, so I can chime in with my opinion then. I am doing catback only, leaving the stock H.

jshen

Established Member
A little bit

but it depends on what you like. I have cat backs and am waiting on x pipe w/cats as I write. As with any free flowing system...I get some poping when I downshift and brake from high rpms...It is defintiely louder than stock...but you can eliminate drone by inserting 3 &1/2 inch baffles into the tail pipes...they're made by Bassani but fir Magnflow quite nice...about $20.00 apiece....Ellis at Magnflow...quoted me hp gain of about 25 rwhp if I recall correctly...The pieces came in two days...and looks like jewels...absolutely beautiful pieces. You'll be happy with the choice.

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
I have the Maggie cat-back with the stock H-pipe and I think it sounds perfect. I have no drone, it is almost QUIET at idle, but when you unleash it sounds mean as hell...

Just my couple pennies worth

:beer:

TDS-03

Established Member
Originally posted by kens03cobra
I have the Maggie cat-back with the stock H-pipe and I think it sounds perfect. I have no drone, it is almost QUIET at idle, but when you unleash it sounds mean as hell...

Just my couple pennies worth

:beer:

Just another $.02, ditto to the above, but to each his own.

03DOHC

Established Member
My maggies have a drone that drove me nuts, but I've been told I have sensitive ears. I put the bassani baffles in the tips, wrapped with a bag of fiberglass for baffles that I got at a motorcycle shop and it about eliminated the drone. With the stock exhaust my car had a slight drone anyway, so it sounds OK now with the baffles in there.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
I like the drone...............it drones out my wife's voice when she tries to tell me that the Tri-Ax makes the transmission louder, and how she hates the bright red flash from the Raptor light..........Yes, I do love that drone...............

Orange Poison

Established Member
I have the full Maggie setup......I don't hear anything:shrug:

It must be all those years of listening to Rock 'n Roll music.....:lol1:

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by kens03cobra

So how much louder is it than stock? The stock system is ridiculously quiet, much more so than my '01.

jshen

Established Member
Not much

..at idle. Has a good authoritative sound, but at WOT it sounds like a Nascar racer...to quote from 5.0 magazine....It sounds really "pissed off" at full throttle....:)

Also note that when Kenne Bell checked the system [see 5.0 mag..two months ago] on the 03, they found 30 lbs of backpressure with stock system..The cat back alone dropped it to 15...I heard Ford did that to keep hp levels such that insurance companies and Feds wouldn't howl...also had something to do with "drive by noise levels"...that was just what I heard..don't know it for fact.

Last edited:

shanker

Cheesecake FTW!
Established Member
I think the drone is from an aftermarket x-pipe. I have the Magnaflow Catback and stock h-pipe and cant make a drone at any point in rpm and degree of acceleration. I tried to. I was worried when i purchased them but dont have the issue.

SVT007

Established Member
I first had a Magnaflow Catback with the stock h-pipe. I had no
drone but the crackling and popping sounds as I let off
gas and downshifted "bothered" me.... I did not like this. I added
a Bassani X pipe and all of the crackling and popping sounds
are gone - I have a slight drone now between 1900 - 2100 rpms
but if I get away from these rpms sounds great. I like this
much morte than the Magnaflows with stock H-pipe.

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
The drone is present during extended drives @ a constant RPM - Usually around 2500 or so.

Last edited:

PhillyCobra

Established Member
No drone for me with Magnaflow catback. Is louder than stock, but pleasant.

Popping on decel is totally normal (not sure if it is do to ignition of unburnt fuel with throttle closed or pressure phenomenon with reversion of exhaust wave) and, in my opinion, sounds really cool.

ALA G8R

Banned
Magnaflow catback + stock H-pipe = no drone
Mangnaflow catback + Magnaflow catted X-pipe = drone
Mangnaflow catback + Magnaflow catted X-pipe + Bassani baffles = less drone

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
BULL: I misread your original post. ALA G8R is right...No drone.

BULL

Established Member
magnaflow it is then, thxz guys,now, where's the cheapest place to buy this cat back.

Users who are viewing this thread