magnaflow tru-x pipe cat rattle!

torchredvert03

Established Member
Theres a rattle coming from the passenger side cat. So I've stopped driving it. Im wondering if this was caused by overheating them. I have the magnaflow tru-x pipe w/cats #93335. Do I have to replace the whole thing or can I just buy the cats and have them welded on? I would rather stick with the magnaflow so it doesnt effect my tune. Any advice will help!

sho95

Established Member
I think I may have a rattle coming from mine as well.
Does yours rattle all the time or certain rpm's?

I'm not sure if it is the heat shield or not until i climb under tomorrow. I will be sending mine back for warranty replacement if it is the internals of the CAT.

From my understanding kooks uses the magnaflow cats

Last edited:

torchredvert03

Established Member
Its rattling almost all the time, I called flowmaster and they said its only covered under warranty if its a manufacture defect but if it over heated or something it wasnt covered. It up on jack stands and I was underneath it, definetly internal. Let me know what youi figure out.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
torchredvert03 said:
Its rattling almost all the time, I called flowmaster and they said its only covered under warranty if its a manufacture defect but if it over heated or something it wasnt covered. It up on jack stands and I was underneath it, definetly internal. Let me know what youi figure out.

why would you call flowmaster about a magnaflow x pipe?

GtownMACH

smoke tires, not drugs
Established Member
its either one of two things.. both of which i've delt w/. The cats they use on anything aftermarket it petty much crap. Think what you want to the think and believe the "high-flow" bullsh*t, but they're crap. The rattle is either coming from the heatshield which is barely tacked on the cat breaking loose one one side (which is an easy fix w/ a welder or my fav, bailing wire) or its either the ceramic actually in the cat broke loose. When the ceramic catalyst broke apart when i had my shorty o/r hpipe, it was an easy fix b/c the cats are right there by the beginning of the midpipe, so i just busted everything loose and had hollowed out cats! But it a midpipe that connects to the stock manifolds, its gunna be hard to fix this if its the problem b/c of all the bends before the cats. my advice, crawl under there and just see if the heatshield is loose on one side.. if its not, order an o/r pipe and throw that maggie horsesh*t in the scrap steel barrel!

Last edited:

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
GtownMACH said:
its either one of two things.. both of which i've delt w/. The cats they use on anything aftermarket it petty much crap. Think what you want to the think and believe the "high-flow" bullsh*t, but they're crap. The rattle is either coming from the heatshield which is barely tacked on the cat breaking loose one one side (which is an easy fix w/ a welder or my fav, bailing wire) or its either the ceramic actually in the cat broke loose. When the ceramic catalyst broke apart when i had my shorty o/r hpipe, it was an easy fix b/c the cats are right there by the beginning of the midpipe, so i just busted everything loose and had hollowed out cats! But it a midpipe that connects to the stock manifolds, its gunna be hard to fix this if its the problem b/c of all the bends before the cats. my advice, crawl under there and just see if the heatshield is loose on one side.. if its not, order an o/r pipe and throw that maggie horsesh*t in the scrap steel barrel!

toss it in the trash? Surely you are not serious. (insert leslie nielsen line from airplane: Yes I am serious, & don't call me shirley). If you don't want the cats, just cut them out & weld in straight pieces. No need to toss $350 in the garbage when $5 worth of metal & an hour's worth of work would fix the issue.

sho95

Established Member
Got under the car today and honestly cant say where the sound is coming from. Pulled the cats off and the inside of the cats looked good. I could see through them and nothing seemed loose.
I think i may have a bearing noise or something ticking in my tranny if its not exhaust.

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
sho95 said:
Got under the car today and honestly cant say where the sound is coming from. Pulled the cats off and the inside of the cats looked good. I could see through them and nothing seemed loose.
I think i may have a bearing noise or something ticking in my tranny if its not exhaust.

Did you check your muffler bearings? :lol1:

Sorry... I couldn't resist... :D

Users who are viewing this thread