magnaflow o/r xpipe question

1999WhiteSVT

STLMustangs.com
Established Member
so i bought a magnaflow o/r xpipe a week ago from a guy on a local mustang board. its in (not on) the car and i was looking at it a little more closely than before. well...i noticed something that seemed wierd to me. the flange on the passenger side of the pipe is an oval shapde, where as the flange on the drivers side is round. (this is on the front of the pipe where it meets the manifolds.) is this normal or did i get screwed?

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
pick you up a new ford gasket for the pass side as well before the install, in case the stocker is in too bad of shape to be re-used...

1999WhiteSVT

STLMustangs.com
Established Member
quick01snake said:
pick you up a new ford gasket for the pass side as well before the install, in case the stocker is in too bad of shape to be re-used...
will do. i make it a habit of buying new gaskets all the time, even if the current one looks ok.

there is a huge weight off my chest with the flange thing. i was kinda worried for a moment

1999WhiteSVT

STLMustangs.com
Established Member
99riocobra said:
glad to hear it worked out for ya! now hurry up and get that thing on before our next freeze!
i need a garage or something first. a carport just isnt that great in the winter.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
yea, i can imagine that. if you need a garage, i have a spot that we could possibly use. we could also possibly use my friend's 2 car garage. he let me park my car in it for about a month durring the blower install. let me know.

Last edited:

1999WhiteSVT

STLMustangs.com
Established Member
if he's cool with it im cool with it. just gotta let me know what tools i need and what kind of beer he likes

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
cool. i'll talk to him about it tomorrow. he's one of my best friends, so it shouldn't be a problem at all. the only real problem these days will be finding a day where we won't freeze to death durring it. :thumbsup:

1999WhiteSVT

STLMustangs.com
Established Member
ok im reviving a kinda old thread here, but i cant find the one im looking for. in another thread someone had mentioned getting different bolts, but what i cant remember is am i supposed to get shouldered or non-shouldered bolts....
thanks if anyone knows

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
1999WhiteSVT said:
sorry i should have specified, i need it for where the xpipe bolts to the manifolds, more specificly, the passenger side

you mean nuts, right? Not bolts. On the passenger side, I believe the nuts are shouldered.
btw, your new gasket part number is xr3z-9450-aa if you don't already have one.

1999WhiteSVT

STLMustangs.com
Established Member
ok im a retard, what is the difference between shouldered and non shouldered nuts? are shouldered the ones that look lke they haev a washer attached to them?

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
I'm no artist, but thought this may help you:
shouldered.gif

The one on the left is non-shouldered. The one on the right, obviously, is shouldered. A lot of times the shouldered nuts will have some time of grooving or something that will keep them from backing off once tightened.

Last edited:

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
the shouldered vs. non-shouldered is on the DRIVER'S side...the stock studs have a "shoulder" on them at the end of the threads, which will prevent most aftermarket mid-pipe flanges from tightening all the way down on the driver's side manifold...you can either grind these shoulders down (after taking them out of the manifold of course) or buy new ones from Napa (do a search for "studs" in threads started by me, you'll find the one w/ the Napa part number)....i had one of the studs break off because i didn't pb blast them beforehand, and had to drill it out and use a regular zinc coated bolt...major PITA....if you need more detail, let me know....

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
quick01snake said:
the shouldered vs. non-shouldered is on the DRIVER'S side...the stock studs have a "shoulder" on them at the end of the threads, which will prevent most aftermarket mid-pipe flanges from tightening all the way down on the driver's side manifold...you can either grind these shoulders down (after taking them out of the manifold of course) or buy new ones from Napa (do a search for "studs" in threads started by me, you'll find the one w/ the Napa part number)....i had one of the studs break off because i didn't pb blast them beforehand, and had to drill it out and use a regular zinc coated bolt...major PITA....if you need more detail, let me know....

hmmm....need to crawl under my car for a refresher course. Been too long; lord knows I've been wrong before but i could have sworn I used shouldered nuts on the pass. side:shrug:

btw, replied to you about the bassani ss catback in the other thread

Users who are viewing this thread