Magnaflow catback problem

kobra01

Established Member
Anybody have this happen. 03 Cobra has 1500 miles on it. 700 miles ago put on a K&N drop-in filter and Magnaflow Catback. Ran car a little bit hard and now the exhaust tips out the back are brown/gold/yellow color instead of stainless color. Looks like they changed color from heat or something? What the ***k???

Brad

Banned
Put mine on the week I got the car.. 4000 miles on it now.. thats weird.. Call magnaflow and tell them about it, maybe youll get a new pair of tips out of the deal:shrug:

acatalon

Established Member
I put mine on friday night and they are becoming discolored already......Please let me know, kinda picky about my car's appearance.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Yeah mean the inside of the tip, or the whole thing? Mine have been on for at least 1000 miles, and show no sign of discoloring yet.

ADR

Greased Lightning
Established Member
Mine are like that also, it does whipe off though, not completely, but on other tips I have had, I didn't have this problem.

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Has anyone taken some EGT readings on these '03s yet? (specifically downstream by the tailpipes)
I saw a pic of an '03 owner's car over on Stangnet the other day & his catback was (heat) discolored, looked like the exhaust was getting really toasty.

GOGO-03

Established Member
Originally posted by kobra01
Anybody have this happen. 03 Cobra has 1500 miles on it. 700 miles ago put on a K&N drop-in filter and Magnaflow Catback. Ran car a little bit hard and now the exhaust tips out the back are brown/gold/yellow color instead of stainless color. Looks like they changed color from heat or something? What the ***k???

:coolman: Hey Kobra01 get some blue magic's metal polish cream or any metal polish for stainless steel. I had the same thing on my mag tailpipes including tar and bits of rubber. Trust me on this one, your pipes will look the same as the day you got them. :beer:

Last edited:

acatalon

Established Member
I called MagnaFlow for information re: DISCOLORATION.......It appears that a coating left on tips and pipes during manufacturing process is the culprit. They recommended spraying with Eagle One wire and chrome rim cleaner. I bought a bottle and sprayed the whole sytem down and hosed off...came out looking good again. I will probably still hit it with chrome polish.

Users who are viewing this thread