Magnaflow Cat Back Fitment

Davidben

Established Member
I picked up a Magnaflow cat back from Craigslist. The guy had it on his Terminator and switched to a Borla. I had it installed today in my 99. They called me from the shop saying they had to cut the pipes to make it fit as the tips were coming out too wide and pushing up to the outside of the bumper on both sides (not lining up close to the cut outs). I am really perplexed by this as I understood it would fit. To my knowledge the cat back is the same for 99-04. Any thoughts as to why it wouldn't without cutting it? I wouldn't care except you can see the pipes from behind, as you all know.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
It sounds like something was bent either on the exhaust or your car. It should have bolted right up. I got my Magnaflow cat back the same way and had to straighten one of the mounting "fingers" to make it fit right. Sounds like your shop isn't too good at analyzing issues.

Edit: Another possibility is that they got the orientation/clocking of the front pieces incorrect making each side of the exhaust at front of the cat back too close together. That would make the back of the exhaust too wide.

Last edited:

Davidben

Established Member
I figured they screwed something up. They are an exhaust shop and did good work in the past so I trusted they could handle this. Thanks for your help.

It sounds like something was bent either on the exhaust or your car. It should have bolted right up. I got my Magnaflow cat back the same way and had to straighten one of the mounting "fingers" to make it fit right. Sounds like your shop isn't too good at analyzing issues.

Edit: Another possibility is that they got the orientation/clocking of the front pieces incorrect making each side of the exhaust at front of the cat back too close together. That would make the back of the exhaust too wide.

Users who are viewing this thread