magnaflo install question

agbulit

Established Member
i just got my catback from the group buy posted here for the last few weeks. i was hoping someone could help me out with a list of parts(clamps, hangars etc) that will be required to do the install. i am going to the auto hobby shop and will only have the cobra for transportaion while i do the install. i dont want to get the stock catback off and then realize i cant complete the job. i already searched the forum and the list is of threads does not include parts needed for the complete install. any help from fellow snake drivers with magnaflow catbacks will be GREATLY appreciated! thanks in advance.

:thumbsup:

Gatorac

Established Member
Everything you need is in the box except a socket and rachet. They even include an allen wrench for adjusting the tips.:thumbsup:

Oh, a 6000lb 2 post lift would make the job easier.:)

agbulit

Established Member
i have access to 5 lifts at the base hobby shop, so that is NO problem.............thanks!
:beer:

ObieFox

Established Member
Magnaflow cat back stainless?

Is the magnaflow cat back stainless? If so, I would say the price on it is pretty sweet. I have a complete Bassani system (headers,X w/cats and Cat Back) on my '93 Cobra and I love it. The prices I've seen for the Bassani '03 system are pretty high and I'm not to sure I like the tips. Magnaflow may be the way to go.....

KO

ronreid03

Established Member
the only other thing you might consider (I didn't and wish I had) are the clamps from NAPA. Apparently they are wider bands that clamp but don't crimp the piping. I have had some trouble getting my supplied clamps tight enpugh. I think the NAPA number for these clamps is 733-3220. Do a search on NAPA clamps and you should find a post with the correct number.

Ron

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by ronreid03
the only other thing you might consider (I didn't and wish I had) are the clamps from NAPA. Apparently they are wider bands that clamp but don't crimp the piping. I have had some trouble getting my supplied clamps tight enpugh. I think the NAPA number for these clamps is 733-3220. Do a search on NAPA clamps and you should find a post with the correct number.

Ron

Ron - I tried just the NAPA clamps you metioned with no success. If you think you had trouble getting the u-bolts tight enough, you shouldn't try these band clamps! They are fairly thin and just stretch out over the pipes as you tighten them down. I know some other guys tried them, but they sure didn't work for me. My mufflers slipped around easily with those band clamps. With the u-bolts they are ok. (Although I did really have to torque those suckers down. Even broke one in the process.)

Cobra'03

Established Member
Ford uses the Torca (Napa) ones on some production trucks due to their clamping strength, and they do not deform the pipes. I did all mine with no slippage, no leaks.
They are part of the Bassani package as I recall, and Corsa as well.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Cobra'03 - you are one of those that had luck with them, yes. (Although I think I also saw you post that you have tac welded yours together, in which case, I wouldn't expect anything to shift around anyways.) I'm sure there are others that liked them as well, but they did not work for me. I saw others post they had problems with them also. I could not get them tight enough, no how no way. So I guess people will just have to try them for themselves and see. I delayed putting my system on for a week waiting for the clamps to come in, and then just ended up ruining one and having to take the rest back. My experience was, they were a waste of time.

Users who are viewing this thread