Mag ride question

gtformula

Established Member
I recently bought a 2014 gt500 pp with mag ride. So I read all about how to convert it to smaller brakes and about how the mag ride shock could still hit the 15 inch rear wheel. One guy moved the shock by drilling a new hole. I switched the brakes and bolted the wheels up. They hit the shock. So I looked at drilling the new hole. I can't see how a new hole can be drilled cause there is no flat surface and my bmr sway bar relocation bracket bolt are there to move them inbound. So I used a small spacer and they do bolt up. However right wheel rubs on a left turn from axle and brake movement.

Soooooo. What happens if you switch shocks? I'm sure you have to unplug the shock and new drag shocks don't have the plug. Do you get a light? Message? Stabilitrack fault?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
You do NOT have mag ride. You have dual mode conventional Bilstein dampers.
If you unplug the damper goes into default (firm/sport mode).
This is too stiff for drag racing.
I'm working on a solution but you should just upgrade the rear shocks to Vikings if you're going 15" drag set-ups.
Some or most has been covered in past.
-J

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
Going back to OP's original question, are there any lights or alarms that come on when unplugging the the sensors for the adjustable ride?

manny231988

Established Member
The only thing that happens is when the rear shocks get disconnected it defaults to sport mode/stiff so front shocks are on sport mode, I haven’t installed my Vikings as I’m still waiting for my weld 15 to come in

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Hey Manny I can't remember but did you try to have car in normal/soft mode then disconnect just the rears?
Disconnecting the rears will default them to sport/firm but would it also trigger the still connected fronts to go firm? I'm assuming it would trip a suspension light but would be nice if you could still have the fronts in soft when the rears are disconnected.
How's the new clutch?
I did make contact on the custom deal, but the current option is a rebuildable billet Ram pressure plate twin disc but with custom spec discs for what we would want in a street/strip bias ply deal.
He also had a custom deal that may not be ready til late March and I'm debating if I should wait for that.
Suspension and clutch big components of us drag racing these cars.
-J

gtformula

Established Member
I actually tested it to see what would happen since I didn't get answers.

Unplug the shocks and the shock indicator on the dash blinks. Then turns to sport mode. Car stiffens up and is like mentioned above, not good for drag racing. So there are no big lights or messages that pop up. So it's an easy swap to normal shocks.

manny231988

Established Member
Bimini ya the light blinks then goes to sport mode assuming the front are i sport mode, there was a guy that mentioned he left his shocks connected in the trunk when running Vikings idk if that will be the only fix for now, the clutch is good so far I haven’t really got into it it has bout 500 miles, I have noticed is chatters pretty good when trying to slip it at a red light. But so far so good

Users who are viewing this thread