Made it to ford...

Mac25

Established Member
I pulled into ford to get the car check out today and the engine light came on. I pulled the code and came up P0301- Cylinder # 1 misfire detected. I parked the car, figured I could save $85 for the check. Question....I figured this has to do with the plugs or coils. But I want to make sure its nothing else like a fuel injector, etc? I did a search and decided to go with livewires and demon packs. Cheaper than ford and have great reviews. Please let me know what u guys think about the code. Thanks

ZimStang

Established Member
start with the cheap stuff. Go buy 1 sparkplug from autozone or something and spend a buck and a half... replace it and see if you still get the code. Then move to the wires.

Mac25

Established Member
I just put ngks in...the wires and packs are going for $299. Beats the $174 for wires and $140 a piece for the packs....

Mac25

Established Member
I did the ohm test on the wires and they are good. Is there a way to check the coil packs?

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Been a long time since I had to test one.
Sorry but I can't tonight but tommorrow morning I will go on mine to refresh my memory.

1 simple thing though, if you have a timing light, hook it up and go through each plug wire, if there is a total missfire it will not light up on that cylinder.

Edit: what was the resistance on the wires? The longer the wire the more resistance. If your problem was on #1 It may have a high ohm reading. That wire still may be bad.

Last edited:

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
Mac25 said:
I pulled into ford to get the car check out today and the engine light came on. I pulled the code and came up P0301- Cylinder # 1 misfire detected. I parked the car, figured I could save $85 for the check. Question....I figured this has to do with the plugs or coils. But I want to make sure its nothing else like a fuel injector, etc? I did a search and decided to go with livewires and demon packs. Cheaper than ford and have great reviews. Please let me know what u guys think about the code. Thanks

My car has a cylinder 2 misfire everynow and then. I think thats the little blip in the idle i feel. Its funny cuz I didnt feel it until after I changed my plugs to the autolite 764's. I think I may have gapped it wrong or got a little antiseize on the plug tip. I just bought the livewires and coilpacks too, dont know why?. It turns out all of my wires and coilpacks are good, checked em out today while it was slow at the shop where I work. From now on I should check these things out b4 i spend 300 bucks on new stuff. If you want you can have my coilpacks and wires for 150 plus shipping. Only 35k miles on the wires and packs.
Grant

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Mac, I tried to ohm my wires and I couldn't for the life if me remember how to check these style coil packs. All attempts failed since I have been fighting kidney stones for a week. It hurts too bad to even lean over under the hood. Sorry.

Mac25

Established Member
Stampede3- u go above and beyond to help someone out!! Thanks
I felt like I had no idea what I was doing so I took it back in. The fuel injector wires were damaged. Those were repaired and all is fine. Thanks for all the help!

Mystic1996Cobra

X pipes rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Also check the spark plug wire boots that go into the head, about 3,000 miles ago I had to change my wires because they were arcing out the side of the boot to the head. Check for a white spot or spots on the boot this will show the areas of problems.

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
I had a misfire problem for a long time with my MSD wires. I ended up putting new Autolite plugs in it and Taylor 409 wires in it. Helped for me. I also tested the MSD wire that was bad and it tested fine. So I'd try new plugs and wires first. Then coil packs

Users who are viewing this thread