Made a custom intake tube for my CJ123 and VMP Gen 2R

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
I've been wanting a better intake tube for my CJ123 for quite awhile. At one time I had the stock intake tube, and then an SCJ adapter set-up that wasn't all that smooth inside. I decided to try and make my own tube. I'm pleased with the way it turned out. Now I just need to get this beast on a dyno to dial it in.

I purchased a 12" length of 5" O.D. aluminum intake tubing with a 1/16" wall thickness. I had to really squash one end in a vise with some plates to get the oval shape on the one end. I also used a band saw for the cuts and a belt sander to clean it up for a nice fit. I wanted about a 1/4" space on both ends.
CcpKgN.jpg

Test fitting with a 3" coupler that I later trimmed at an angle.
RSb6sD.jpg

Made up the outer sleeve with some UPR fittings. Sleeve prevents heat transfer in addition to holding the fittings.
xYz9Dy.jpg

Inside look.
RIqNvO.jpg

Slipped the sleeve on.
TXckIw.jpg

Tube installed. I just want to later replace the stock hose clamps near the TB with something just a little wider. Got 1/2" clearance to coil cover.
YKZ1a2.jpg

4kBVOT.jpg

TvrgH7.jpg

FPyeJK.jpg

I did have to trim up the bucket to try and keep things somewhat straight. Getting a better seal is a project for another day.

Last edited:

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
The outer sleeve appears to be a length of 5" i.d. silicone hose. Zombeast how hard was it to get your aluminum tube inside the hose? I like it.

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
The outer sleeve appears to be a length of 5" i.d. silicone hose. Zombeast how hard was it to get your aluminum tube inside the hose? I like it.

Yes, it's 5" I.D. I used a little dish soap on the aluminum after I first put it on dry for a test fit, and had a hell of a time taking it off.

Joewee500

Established Member
I did the same thing with mine. 5" tubing squashed down a little. I just painted mine black. Took no time and I'm pleased with it. Yours turned out nice.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread