Mach engine help

C5_z51_6spd

Banned
what's the difference between the mach 1 engine with the auto and the mach 1 engine with the manual besides the cast crank and pistons. Does both engines make the same horsepower on an engine dyno?
can you rev a mach 1 auto engine to 6600rpms in a manual tranny car?

the reason i ask is because i bought a mach engine for my cobra and i don't know if it came from an auto or manual. The engine description says - 8-280 (4.6L), DOHC VIN (R)........... i know the R stand for the mach engine code, but what does the other numbers mean?

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Actually, the pistons are the same. The cast crank is about it. As for HP/TQ ratings, it depends on where you read it. Basically, they are the same flywheel power. The redline in the auto is lower (6300 I believe). As for the codes, I am not sure. But give me a little bit, and I will try to find out for you.

BTW - the '03 and '04 machs had different ECU's. The exhaust was different, but that doesn't apply to you.

C5_z51_6spd

Banned
ponygt65 said:
Actually, the pistons are the same. The cast crank is about it. As for HP/TQ ratings, it depends on where you read it. Basically, they are the same flywheel power. The redline in the auto is lower (6300 I believe). As for the codes, I am not sure. But give me a little bit, and I will try to find out for you.

BTW - the '03 and '04 machs had different ECU's. The exhaust was different, but that doesn't apply to you.

I'm putting a mach motor in my cobra 5spd. If in fact this motor is from an auto, would i still be able to rev it to around 6600rpms?
why did they put the cast crank in the autos instead of the forged counterpart?

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
C5_z51_6spd said:
I'm putting a mach motor in my cobra 5spd. If in fact this motor is from an auto, would i still be able to rev it to around 6600rpms?
why did they put the cast crank in the autos instead of the forged counterpart?

From what I have been told from the auto guys, it was to save the tranny. Engineering put a cast crank so if there were any 'problems' the crank would go before the more expensinve auto tranny. Can't confirm that 100%, but that is what I have read on the registry a few times.

I dont' see why the 5-speed wouln't match up, because the crank is the only difference. The cast crank is what is in the GT's as well, and they can run up to 6600 no problems.

TR03Mach1

Black Snake
Established Member
One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is that the automatic Mach 1 motors have a 6 bolt pattern flywheel, while the manuals use an 8 bolt pattern. You can use the flywheel from a manual equipped 2v GT to use it in your 5-speed car.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
TR03Mach1 said:
One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is that the automatic Mach 1 motors have a 6 bolt pattern flywheel, while the manuals use an 8 bolt pattern. You can use the flywheel from a manual equipped 2v GT to use it in your 5-speed car.

Thanks for making it clear. On one of the links it does mention needing to change it, but doesn't list the GT as an option or the bolt pattern. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread