Mach 460 with Aftermarket Head Unit - Sound Cuts Out

Lzr96Snake

burning up in speed
Established Member
I’m having an issue where all sound will cut off at times going down the road. The stereo stays lit as normal. If I cycle power on the head unit most of the time it’ll work again only to cut out a few minutes later. Sometimes sound will come back on but with no bass. Im running a pioneer head unit with a plug and play adapter harness, everything else is stock. I installed the pioneer unit around 2011 and just recently started having this problem. I haven’t had anything apart yet. Do you guys recognize this problem before I start throwing money at it? Thanks

Lzr96Snake

burning up in speed
Established Member
I can tell you exactly what it is
Its the Metra wiring harness for the speakers. Metra really sucked it up when they made em. Pull it apart and make sure the little pins lineup. Unfortunately I went through three connectors to find a good one

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Thanks for the reply. Could you give me a little more info on this? Is this the connector from the harness to the speaker?

jgt58

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. Could you give me a little more info on this? Is this the connector from the harness to the speaker?
The one on the right
Screenshot_2018-02-09-22-34-07.jpg

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
Did it just start to do this? Could be the harness but Ive never Ive bought two and never had an issue. This sounds like a problem with the head unit.

If all sound goes out, then the head unit's amp and Mach 460 amps are both not working. How would a bad harness cause the HU to not output sound to the mids/tweeters.

Power cycling the HU wouldnt fix a bad Mach 460 component or bad harness.

Lzr96Snake

burning up in speed
Established Member
Did it just start to do this? Could be the harness but Ive never Ive bought two and never had an issue. This sounds like a problem with the head unit.

If all sound goes out, then the head unit's amp and Mach 460 amps are both not working. How would a bad harness cause the HU to not output sound to the mids/tweeters.

Power cycling the HU wouldnt fix a bad Mach 460 component or bad harness.

Yes it started doing it last fall coming back from NMRA in BG. I installed the head unit in 2011 and it hasn’t been unplugged or anything since. I guess I’ll pull the stereo and check connections at the harness first.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Throw a double DIN in there, swap out the speakers and pull all that Mach stuff out.
It sucks. Lol

850SNCobra

Established Member
+1 on replacing the entire Mach 460 setup
Although I didn't go with a Double Din I opted for a single din since I have a vert and don't wanna entice the thieves. But I think ripping out the Mach stuff altogether is the best bet in terms of sound quality and flexibility to play music from different sources as well.

Edit: Also forgot to mention I had the same problems in my previous 95' GT, the previous owner had replaced the door speakers and headunit with aftermarket stuff and I had nothing but issues with that setup, speakers different speakers would constantly cutout.

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I can tell you exactly what it is
Its the Metra wiring harness for the speakers. Metra really sucked it up when they made em. Pull it apart and make sure the little pins lineup. Unfortunately I went through three connectors to find a good one

I put a Kenwood deck in mine with the Metra harness with RCA plugs and it sounds like the music is coming through 2 cans on a string. Any thoughts?

Lzr96Snake

burning up in speed
Established Member
Guys thanks for the replies. I removed the radio/ac bezel this morning, turned the radio on, and waited for the sound to go out. Within 5-10 minutes or so it did, so I started moving wires around the harness plugs and tried unplugging and plugging them back in. I never could get the sound to come back on. I guess my next step is I’ll try another aftermarket harness. When I bought the stereo from Best Buy in 2011, they had a harness that plugged directly from back of the stereo to the two factory plugs on the car. Just doing some google searching I’m not finding it. All I see are the ones that you wire in to the plug that came with the stereo. What do you recommend I use? I don’t have the plug that originally came with the pioneer head unit so I’d either have to find one or cut the one off of this harness I have. Thanks

cheaneyt

Established Member
mine quit,had a loose pin in the harness. mach amps plus this setup now running
5374759bcaee50fd164b12c53d648fc0.jpg
ef9bb2dbc26dad5aefba57dc25bdb746.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Lzr96Snake

burning up in speed
Established Member
It wound up being my head unit. I put a new CD player in and the problem went away. I did replace the metra harness, but I tried it with the old harness first and it worked fine. Thanks for everyone’s help.

Users who are viewing this thread