Mach 460 upgrade

Brewkett

Established Member
I'm just wondering out loud here, I'm looking to replace the front door speakers and factory amp. Has anyone used a good set of 6x8 coaxial speakers wired to an aftermarket amp, and left the factory tweeters wired to the head unit? I replaced the factory head unit while back ago with a Pioneer FH-X730BS and install kit. Or would I just be better off with a set of 6.5" components? Car is a 01 convertible. haven't decided what to do with the rear speakers. Thinking of maybe making them a small sub woofer and kill the rear tweeters.

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
That would technically work but isn't optimal. The two sets of speakers would play the same frequencies and the stock "tweeter/mid" would sound muddy compared to the new speaker.

The stock setup really isn't ideal for adding components but it can be done. I just dislike the speaker firing into my lower leg while the tweeter is almost ear level. That is probably your best be unless you went to a 3-way setup.

What I did was to wire in a pair of Pioneer tweeters in parallel to the factory mids (which I replaced with 2.5" Parts Express drivers). This way the mids are still ear level and close to the tweeters. The tweeters are placed on the dash in the corner where the a-pillar trim meets the dash and windshield. I wish I would have done this when the dash was out as I could have flush mounted the tweeters in the dash instead of surface mounting them but oh well.

"Dayton Audio PC68-4 2-1/2" Full-Range Poly Cone Driver" from www.parts-express.com!

TS-T110 - 7/8" Hard Dome Tweeter with 120 Watts Maximum Power

52merc

Established Member
Check out this thread.
https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/replacing-the-mach-460.1158329/

The amp fit neatly where one of the 460 amps were mounted, and the speakers fit well after I made the mounting adapters. The whole system works well and I'm glad I did it, even the sub I built. If you want more details, let me know, I have a MSWord doc that I wrote on the whole install.

Users who are viewing this thread