Mach 460 driving me NUTS

Rocsfinest97

Domestics > Imports
Established Member
OK so, I've always had a slight problem with it but now its driving me completely insane. For some reason, my entire system is running half powered. It had been since I put the car on the road, and one day I get in her and strt her up and its like BOOM, holy hell where did all this power/bass come from? I felt the kick drum ripping through my chest and my side mirrors were completely useless due to vibration. It was great.

The next day? Back to the same old crap ass half powered mids and tweeters only. I believe the back subs function somewhat, but not at all how they should. Most recently it has gone to just one side, and phases back and forth sometimes crackling between the two. I've also noticed this corresponds to any time I hit a bump in the road.

Initially I thought it was my head unit, but its defenitely not. I also suspected some bad wiring, but no. I believe it to be my drivers side amp, seeing as when I unplugged it the system sounded the same.

But that's just my theory. I'd like to see if someone else has either had an experience or has an idea of what it could be, since I know several of you are very experienced in car systems.

Also, any idea how much visteon charges for these things?

Thanks in advance all.

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
Id like to know as well. When I am on the highway with my windows down I need the volume turned up to the max to listen to the music.... is this how everyone elses is?

ironman_jk

Established Member
Not sure if this will help, but worth a mention. I had no bass at all in my Mach 460 for over a year. I eventually found out it was a bad ground. If you look on the left hand side of the fuse box below the steering wheel, you will see a green screw with a wire. After moving this wire around all my bass kicked back in.

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
do you have the factory speakers in there?

mine works great, and with the top down, half volume is plenty loud, and kick drum thumping in my butt

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Guys, pop your trunk and turn up the stereo. the amps are located below the rear speakers. Reach up and shake the harnesses where they connect to the amps. make sure everything is tight. It's usually a bad connection.

This site may help you out too. It's got just about all the Mach 460/1000 info you'll ever need.
www.flemworld.com

Here's a copy of some of the 460 wiring schematics.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s132/z308/Wiring1copy-1.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s132/z308/Wiring2copy.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s132/z308/page3copy.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s132/z308/Wiring4copy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tjs98gt

Established Member
my mach 460 sounds worse than it used to as well after sitting all winter. ill have to check it out

19Mystic96

Established Member
+1 on the amps.. i lost bass completely for a while. I asked around on this site, and i was told it was the amps.. so i bought some new ones and it is all better now..

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
hey guys, I went full left to right front to back and I am pretty sure all my speakers are working but the system is not as loud as I think it would be. 1/2 volume with the windows down in the highway and I cant hear it...

any ideas

WhiteFoxGT

Resident Ford Tech
Established Member
I dont have a speaker problem, Im having a head unit adapter problem. I cant find any adapters to hook an aftermarket head unit in. I bought one from an audio place, and half the kit worked, but the main head unit harness was WAY off..

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
White Fox you need the adapter thingy that has all kinds of slide switches on it. Best Buy sold me mine. It's not your average harness

SVTContique

Are you using an FM transmitter?

I know they have shitty quality, normal radio i can have it at 3/4 volume and its loud as hell, with theFM transmitter at 100% volume its loud, but not crazy.

I also turned my treble up to almost max and the bass as well.

Rocsfinest97

Domestics > Imports
Established Member
Badass98svt, I have tried moving, shaking, rattling, and punching the amp. Nothing. I guess this seems to be a somewhat common problem. Guess I'll just swap out the amp with another. And yes everthing is stock except the head unit. In reality, when everything is working properly, thats ALL you need. The 460 sounds great.

I'll check the grounds tomorrow. Thanks for the tip on that. The sound changing when I hit bumps may be that as well. I know that wouldn't cause the phasing and crackling though.

Also I'm not using a FM transmitter. I'm using a CD player. I hate FM transmitters, and the fact that they charge $80 for the pieces of shit. Just like they charge $25 for a tape adapter that used to be $3 before the ipod phenominon.

rlopezspc

addicted
Established Member
i asked my pal yesterday, and he said to check the connections on the back of your stereo and look to where the remote wire hooks up to the stereo. he said check those connections, and sometimes the remote wire just won't work for the stereo, so to hook the wire that is connected to remote, and hook it to accecory. he said that the crackling and loss of sound is a common problem with the 460 since it's complex and needs all sorts of connections just to be able to hook all the sound.........

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
i asked my pal yesterday, and he said to check the connections on the back of your stereo and look to where the remote wire hooks up to the stereo. he said check those connections, and sometimes the remote wire just won't work for the stereo, so to hook the wire that is connected to remote, and hook it to accecory.

The 460 amps don't simply hookup via the remote wire like a standard stereo

Users who are viewing this thread