mach 460 draining battery

01BlueCobraVert

Established Member
I had a constant drain that would kill my cars battery after 3 days of not driving it. I had one garage look at it and they said they could not find the culprit. Randomly I decided to try my stereo by pulling the fuse for it. To my surprise it worked. No more battery drain. How do I determine what part of the system is no turning off? I am guessing it is one of the amps... Does anyone know the draw I should see on these and also do I hook an amp meter to the positive wire on the amp and touch it to a ground point on the car to check it? Thanks

STR8JAKT

Tis but a Scratch
Established Member
Check the amps. I had one in my 97 do the same thing. Get a good multi meter, hook it up to the stereo circuit in the fuse box, and start disconnecting amps until you see the meter go nuts with draw. Replace bad amp.

2001cobravert

Established Member
I had the same issue 3 weeks ago. Convertible top was leaking and soaked both amps.:fm: I pulled both amps out, couldn't hear it anyways with my off road x-pipe.

Is your top leaking?

01BlueCobraVert

Established Member
My car sits in a storage unit and only sees perfect weather. I am guessing an amp is staying on. If I got a bad amp, where can I get a replacement?

93LxTasY

Established Member
you hook up a digital volt meter set on 10a setting between the battery negative post and the negative while they are touching. when hooked to both, seperate the cable and post. You will have to just touch cable to side of post and hook up meter first. Then wait 45 minutes before checking meter for draw to allow time for modules to go to sleep. if you are wanting to unplug amps, make sure you have trunk open and driver door open but both of the latches closed to fool GEM into thinking they are closed, if not the GEM will never go to sleep and will read a draw. Normal draw will be .050a or less.

Users who are viewing this thread