Mach 460 aftermarket radio harness?

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
Do they exist? Of course I know they do but I can locate one.

I went to Crutchfield.com and started picking things out when I noticed the warning message saying my car would require new amps in order to work. Basically saying my stock system needed to be replaced if I went after market. I know this isn't true because other Mach 460 owners have made the head-unit switch. I chatted with a sales rep and he said they have Mach harnesses but not for my model. I'm assuming he means the old double units found in the pre '01 model year and not in-dash 6 disk changers.

Where can I get one and I really hope it's not going to be like a rubrics cube to install....:nonono:

RoyWoods

Established Member
You'll need an adapter like the one referenced in the above post, if you want to use your existing wiring/amps/speakers. I opted for the alternative method, which was basically starting over (new wires and new speakers everywhere). I don't care for line level converters, and there are numberous other benefits to starting "fresh." Obviously the adapter makes it much easier though. Anyway, you might something useful in this link too: http://www.flemworld.com/Mach460/Mach.html.

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
I'm not really into stereos anymore. I'm just looking for a nice head unit that allows me to control my iPod and hookup my Sirius radio. Alpine has my solution. Plus I have a 7 week old kid so I'm happy to still have my car and get a new radio. LOL

Thank you for confirming the above will satisfy my needs.

Last edited:

Mach0ne351

Established Member
dude, you want to do the same thing i did.....am im still going through it. all i wanted was a new headunit, harness (get it bestbuy..$15), ipod adapter, and that is all! got em, but i found out that i need to replace my amps and wiring. 4 of the 6 speakers work at the moment, and i get engine feedback. youll need to opt for a 2way amp, that will power the rear speakers, then have the main deck power the front 4. that is the cheapest way of doing it.

marek

RoyWoods

Established Member
lasercobra said:
I'm not really into stereos anymore. I'm just looking for a nice head unit that allows me to control my iPod and hookup my Sirius radio. Alpine has my solution. Plus I have a 7 week old kid so I'm happy to still have my car and get a new radio. LOL

Thank you for confirming the above will satisfy my needs.

I know the feeling. Mine just turned two. When I bought the car (4/01), I saw those tether anchor points on the rear deck and thought "I'll never need/use those." Little did I know.

Depending on what you decide to do, you might look here also: http://www.tazcobra.com/elect.htm. Scroll down near the bottom of the page and he tells how to add Sirius to the factory deck. Good luck, and by the way, the "terrible two's" thing, is 100% truth. ;-)

KGblack99cobra

Back N Black
Established Member
As for the Mach460 and after market unit..... Its pretty simple.... Ill try to get some pics.... You have to tie the Blue remote wire from your 460 harness into the remote wire of the harness then you'll acutally have all 6 mach speakers working..
Ill try to get pics
As for you techies.. with your sirrus and ipods GOOD luck

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
KGblack99cobra said:
As for the Mach460 and after market unit..... Its pretty simple.... Ill try to get some pics.... You have to tie the Blue remote wire from your 460 harness into the remote wire of the harness then you'll acutally have all 6 mach speakers working..
Ill try to get pics
As for you techies.. with your sirrus and ipods GOOD luck

Thanks!
And thanks to all that have replied so far.

I'm 99% sure I have the correct harness ordered. It's advertised as a 2001 Mustang Mach 460 wiring harness. :read: But sh*t happens, thus the 1% margin for error. They way it seems to work is that the Metra harness plug into the stock harness then that ties into the aftermarket radio's harness.

This Alpine unit I'm getting is awesome and it's really cheap for what you get. The iPod interface is a single cable, that's it! No adapter boxes, special wires, etc. Just a $30 cable and the stereo controls the iPod. I don't think any other radio maker has such a clean hassle free interface with an iPod. I'm going to run the wire to my glove box and stick it in there. I think that's what BMW does. The radio is Sirius capable but I already have a StarMate unit. A $15 cable lets me plug directly into the stereo without taking up any of my standard ports. Again, no converters, special cables, etc.
:pepper:

Last edited:

DarthLord

Established Member
Most guys just want you to upgrade to an aftermarket system... I had the same problem when moving from a Mach460 to a Mach1000. A new headunit can be used,
but it will require someone with knowledge of the Ford System to integrate it. The
ford head unit sends a 5 volt signal to the rear amps to power them. FIX: Add a 5-volt
power source lead to the rear amps and you can use your new headunit with factory amps. Good luck...

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
ccognetta said:
Most guys just want you to upgrade to an aftermarket system... I had the same problem when moving from a Mach460 to a Mach1000. A new headunit can be used,
but it will require someone with knowledge of the Ford System to integrate it. The
ford head unit sends a 5 volt signal to the rear amps to power them. FIX: Add a 5-volt
power source lead to the rear amps and you can use your new headunit with factory amps. Good luck...

Would that be an ignition 5v source? I'm assuming this '2001 Ford Mach 460' adapter harness will take care of everything. I certainly hope so anyway...

01Cobra896

Established Member
If you want to retain the factory speakers and amp's then go with this adapter.
Metra 70-5519 Ford 2000-2001 Amplifier Integrator Plug
I ordered it from www.parts-express.com. I have had absolutely no issues with the install. I have a Kenwood Excelon head unit and the factory wiring. It works great, adapts to yoru factory plugs for no cutting, and sounds great. Hope this helps.

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
01Cobra896 said:
If you want to retain the factory speakers and amp's then go with this adapter.
Metra 70-5519 Ford 2000-2001 Amplifier Integrator Plug
I ordered it from www.parts-express.com. I have had absolutely no issues with the install. I have a Kenwood Excelon head unit and the factory wiring. It works great, adapts to yoru factory plugs for no cutting, and sounds great. Hope this helps.

Ordered that from them last week and it still isn't here. I have my dash all torn apart because I sold the stock unit on Ebay. Looks like my car was broken into. And to think I cancelled my Crutchfield order because they were taking too long. :rolleyes:

:dw: On a side note, I can really hear the motor now. Might run like that at the track so I can listen for detonation. :rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread