Mach 1000 Install Question

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
Well, how complete is it to start? I had one that sat in my closet for about a year, then when I got my car I decided that it weighed too much. It had almost everything except for the harness and the head unit.

We can go from there :beer:

ModMike1572

Established Member
Good question, my mom drives a 2002 gt with the mach 1000 in it. She doesnt need all that base lol. Ive been thinking about putting it in the 03... Anyone ever done this?

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
Hey Abe, I've looked around in my voluminous (30 gigs) files on the 2003 Cobra specifically and I have a very simple wiring diagram for the Mach 1000. I also have a copy of a dealer brochure and plenty of installed pictures of two different versions of the system, one uses an amp rack and one uses the four amps mounted on a vertical board in the back of the trunk. PM me with your E-mail address and I'll send you what I can, if your mailbox can handle the files.

One thing that also put me off about the install was the speakers themselves. You would expect the housings to be flush with the coves in the sides of the trunk, but they aren't...the passenger's side intrudes about half a foot into the usable trunk space.

However, if you get yours installed I know you will enjoy it...Coletti set one of the design parameters as "being able to vibrate a 22 oz can of beer off the trunk lid". That parameter was reported to have been exceeded. :)

Abe Abromowitz

Established Member
Originally posted by CarpetCityCobra
One thing that also put me off about the install was the speakers themselves. You would expect the housings to be flush with the coves in the sides of the trunk, but they aren't...the passenger's side intrudes about half a foot into the usable trunk space.

I guess I can kiss my trunk goodbye. I never really expected to use this car for a short trip to the Keys or Orlando, but I guess this install will make that all the more impossible. Thanks for your help and please look for my PM.

Abe
(Mike)

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
OK Mike, sent you some info...hope that helps you out some. I never really got started in my install after I saw what was involved. Best of luck to ya. :beer:

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Did you know that the Mach 460 is already the Mach 1000 minus the 4 amps and the 2 subs in the back? There are Mach 1000 upgrade kits available. The Mach 1000 head unit is the same as the 460 head unit, minus the EQ modes. Mach 1000 mode is equivalent to All Seats Mode with the subs on in the 460 head.

The install takes a couple hours if that.
Here's the kit and explains it:

http://www.dssworldwide.com/mach.htm

http://www.radiosandmore.com/prod_detail.asp?pn=3U6F-18814-DA

http://www.evisteon.com/prod_serv/mobile_electronics/products/mach_1000/index.shtml

Last edited:

Mr. Jack

Established Member
I had the Mach 1000 in my 02 GT.

I personally would go for something aftermarket. The subs with the 1000 are ass with no seperate bass control either. Unless you are getting the amps and stuff for free and/or you really want to keep your stock headunit, go aftermarket.

Abe Abromowitz

Established Member
Thanks Chi-Mike and Jack -

I was able to find the Mach 1000 upgrade in a GT that had a nasty front end collision. It was very inexpensive. I figured, I'd give this a shot before I went aftermarket.

Jpjr

Established Member
I posted a detailed write-up on installing an aftermarket sub in an 03 (vert). It's a lot cheaper than a Mach 1000 upgrade and a lot less work if you know what your doing. Just my 2 cents..

Users who are viewing this thread