Mach 1 with Cobra Motor? Would YOU?

Mighty-d

Speed Matters
Established Member
This is my story, in short. I bought a Mach 1 blown Vortech low miles. after few months into it few small problems came about. but no big deal. Now i have a knock......car at the shop, pretty sure its a Knock like a bearing on a rod...like knock, and the shop i go to has the car and are convinced the same. SUCKS ASS....The knock we think it due to a bad tune....the MAF sensor is in the wrong place and a pre dyno check showed it not reading as it should.......not sure though. It a bad knock! so....fix before gets worse..

So instead of a rebuild, I am thinkin of going to 04 Cobra motor, "not the full motor" just the small block, and bolt my stuff ontop....so therefore i will have the forged block and built bottom end of the cobra.
I will also put my blower on it, im sure some retubing may be needed. but I want to keep that adn the Mach look! thats why i bought the Mach.

So I think i will have the best of both worlds, YES.....the Mach look and the Cobra heart beat!

Last edited:

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
it might be cheaper to just put some forged pistons and rods in your aluminum block as it is.....

then you would maintain the weight advantage.....

Furinox

Established Member
I would forge yours or buy a short block somewhere else. The stock compression of a cobra shortblock is too low IMO for a centri, and you would also have the added weight of the iron block.

mpe331lx

Mine's stock too
Established Member
I would forge yours or buy a short block somewhere else. The stock compression of a cobra shortblock is too low IMO for a centri, and you would also have the added weight of the iron block.

X2

Stick with an alluminum block and forge it.:rolling:

less weight with the alluminum block. Better drivability, power, and efficiency if you keep the compression in the 9.5-10:1 range with a centri blower.

Mighty-d

Speed Matters
Established Member
You might want to consider an Aluminator block. Then you'll have basically an all aluminum Terminator engine. Tastes great, but less filling!

True, but to much cash. I got a good deal on it....friend got for me! ;-) owns a reptuable Salvage type thing here in GA.

Mighty-d

Speed Matters
Established Member
I appreciate everyones input, good to know what others may do possibly. With the deal I got form my friend this would not be possible.
I went with a 03 Cobra short block.... this is used motor with VERY low miles, and it wil be documented. No blower, I will use my stuff to bolt on top. My heads my timing chain chain cover my Vortec blower and ETC.

So if any intrested, i will let you guys know how the swap goes.

Users who are viewing this thread