Mach 1 vs S197 GT

DrZacharyus

Banned
Debating between the two cars as I am selling my car or trading if it doesn't sell within the time I find the car I want. Which would you all say would suit myself better? I am looking for a DD with DECENT gas mileage, anything around 18+ mixed driving is OK. I will do a power adder down the road but I am looking for mid-low 12's with BPU. It needs to be reliable and not give me headaches every time I turn the car on. I have found some Mach's for sale with decent mileage for 16,000-18,000 from dealerships with low, 8-20k, miles. So, as for which would suit those needs?

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I like the Mach 1 body style soooo much better than the S197 body. So you see my choice. My '03 GT was pretty modded and I still never had any problems with it over 3 years. It was supercharged for over 30k miles and I was still on the stock motor, trans, clutch and rear and daily drove it. Mileage was still around 20 with highway and city combo.

Either one will be plenty reliable, so pick the one you think looks the best.

91frppgt

Banned
s197 ftw

edit: my auto car, went 13.80's bone stock, paper tags - full weight - full gas.

after dyno tune, pullies it went 13.10's @ 104
then I put 20's, and catback, 3.73 a few other tuning tweaks and my best of 12.8 with a 1.89 60' (107 best mph)

Last edited:

Torched_03

Stock!
Established Member
The M1 will be faster mod for mod...due to the weight. But the S197s are really nice inside and ride great. Just depends on what you like....My M1 is low 12 car with a intake, O/R X, CB, Tune, 4.10's and slicks....I went 12.7 with aboves mods minus the gears, tires

LSUstang05

Established Member
I had a s197 GT and with just Pypes Off-Road H-pipe and shorty (read: worthless) headers and a canned tune from Diablo, I ran a 12.9@108 on the stock tires (yes, the PZero Nero 235/55/17's). Don't believe me?

Here's a video:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRq2eXomE28]YouTube - Going For 12s[/ame]

Now, with that being said, I would get the Mach 1. For one, it looks better. It also has a 4v under the hood and responds better to mods and is lighter. You could put it into the 11's with the right stuff N/A a lot easier than a s197, that's for sure. I'm pretty sure there is only 1 or 2 people that are NA in the s197 world that are in the 11's and one of them is a guy that basically owns his own shop (spyder driveshafts)

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
I'd say the GT. They both have similar performance but the S197s are just a direct improvement over the sn-95s.

LaFlavor

Established Member
Depends on what you want, really.

The Mach will be more unique, and respond better to mods (power wise, I don't know how the two suspensions stack up).

The chassis on the S197 is definitely superior. Fewer squeaks, rattles, and the like. It can also be made very fast with relatively few mods.

I honestly don't know which one I would pick for a DD, probably whichever one I could find a better deal on in my area in the color I want and with the options I want.

pharmd2010

Established Member
I've owned both. My Mach 1 was stock for a while until I added a blower. I now own an S197 that is nearly stock. Here is my take on the two cars:

As far as looks, everybody has a different opinion. So that's not worth mentioning. Their performance is similar, with the edge going to the Mach mod for mod. So that shouldn't be a huge deciding factor. Now a huge difference in the cars is the general "feel" of the cars. The S197 is definitely a much better choice to daily drive. It is more comfortable and just drives a lot better. It rides much better as well. Ford did it right with the S197's. Since you will be daily driving the car, the S197 would be my choice for you, assuming that the looks of the car and the performance of the car isn't considered. Good luck in your search!

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
i dd my mach, so i thats what i would go with lol. tho the s197 might be more comfortable

Thump_rrr

Established Member
S197 for the chassis but I'm biased.
Mine did 13,65 bone stock with 180 miles on it.
13.25 with an intake and 93 octane tune
12.95 with drag Radials
12.85 with Steeda U/D pullies
12.69 with longtube headers and cats (untuned)
12.46 with 4.10's still untuned.

It's now blown at 12 psi with a JDM mailorder tune and running 11.139 at full weight still on the stock motor with over 1,000 passes F.I.

DrZacharyus

Banned
I found a car in New England, I am in Florida. My car is a lease so I have to trade it in. I would love to do a private sale but it probably won't happen. It is a 2004 TR Mach 1 with 13,8xx miles and the carfax is clean. They said they would sell it for 15,995 out right to me because they can't take a trade since I am so far but they would be willing to do a dealer trade. That is 2k knocked off list price just acting interested in the car, the sales manager said he wants to sell it fast because of the snow. Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread