Mach 1 vs Firehawk

Poisoned Pony

The Mach that Rocks
Established Member
so I'm headed home, windows down, tunes blasting, enjoying the drive. I come up to a light that I normally turn right at to enter out housing track, but once I saw what was just ahead of me at the light I decided to go straight. I was the 2nd car in the right lane, in front was a red '97 or earlier Firehawk. It had square backup lights, so it was an LT-1 and it sounded good. The right lane branches off to 2 lanes once you proceed through the intersection. The light goes green and he takes the middle while I go right. Right when I kept it in 2nd gear while he proceeded calmly to 3rd...... til I pulled even :-D As soon as that happened, it downshifted and it was on!!! I hit the T/C and mashed the go pedal. I'm pulling ever so slightly as I slam 3rd gear and chirp the Goodyears and put an even length on him. I finish the hawk off going into 4th and let off as we zoom past a large recreation park. He pulls even, honks and gives a thumbs up. I return the gesture. He pulled into the park, I went straight and then my cel phone rings, with my brother asking if that was me whipping a Firehawk's ass as we went by the park :-D

I got to get this thing to a track, she has waaaay more pull than my '96 Cobra ever did :eek:

Supra_GS4

Established Member
Hey how fast are the new mach 1's?? I've never seen one run or anything, please enlighten me, thanks. Oh and good kill.

RDSZ

600+HP
Established Member
Originally posted by Poisoned Pony
so I'm headed home, windows down, tunes blasting, enjoying the drive. I come up to a light that I normally turn right at to enter out housing track, but once I saw what was just ahead of me at the light I decided to go straight. I was the 2nd car in the right lane, in front was a red '97 or earlier Firehawk. It had square backup lights, so it was an LT-1 and it sounded good. The right lane branches off to 2 lanes once you proceed through the intersection. The light goes green and he takes the middle while I go right. Right when I kept it in 2nd gear while he proceeded calmly to 3rd...... til I pulled even :-D As soon as that happened, it downshifted and it was on!!! I hit the T/C and mashed the go pedal. I'm pulling ever so slightly as I slam 3rd gear and chirp the Goodyears and put an even length on him. I finish the hawk off going into 4th and let off as we zoom past a large recreation park. He pulls even, honks and gives a thumbs up. I return the gesture. He pulled into the park, I went straight and then my cel phone rings, with my brother asking if that was me whipping a Firehawk's ass as we went by the park :-D
Why do you think I got rid of my LT1, I lost a few with 96 and up Cobras. Lt1 feels strong down low but runs out of steam on top.
I got to get this thing to a track, she has waaaay more pull than my '96 Cobra ever did :eek:
:beer:

blk96SVT

Established Member
Originally posted by Poisoned Pony

Awesome kill!! Sounds like a ton of fun, and somebody you know witnessed the kill!! Did your 96 Cobra have 4.30 gears? Mine pulls like crazy compared to the stock 3.27's! I want to race a Mach 1!

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by Supra_GS4
Hey how fast are the new mach 1's?? I've never seen one run or anything, please enlighten me, thanks. Oh and good kill.

If you havent already clicked on the link... Most of the 5-Speeds iv heard of post mid to low 13's.

Supra_GS4

Established Member
man those new mach 1's are pretty sweet. All along I was thinking they were just another lame GT and here they are running pretty damn good. Again, sweet kill.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by Supra_GS4
man those new mach 1's are pretty sweet. All along I was thinking they were just another lame GT and here they are running pretty damn good.

Yep, The 03 Cobras arent the only ones out there building name for themselves as far as mustangs go, thats for sure.

Wild Bill

Established Member
Nice kill! I just borrowed a modded mach 1 for the day.That car was quick,even hung with an 03 Cobra till 4th and made a C5 vert stop trying before he got embarassed.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by Wild Bill
Nice kill! I just borrowed a modded mach 1 for the day.That car was quick,even hung with an 03 Cobra till 4th and made a C5 vert stop trying before he got embarassed.

I had heard you say something about that...

How does the Mach1 sound? Iv seen an in person, iv seen em in pictures... But I havent got to here em yet.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Great kill, congrats! The Mach 1 is definately no slouch, that's for sure. I came up on one the other day and ended up behind him at a light. He saw me back there and revved so I knew we were going to go when the light went green. As we took off, I didn't give it 100% because I figured I'd end up ramming him. After I saw him launch, however, I had to stomp on it hard just to catch back up! Nice rides, to be sure! I'd like to race once side by side, as they seem pretty damn stout.:D

Rearpl8tsinsite

QQQQ
Established Member
Nice Kill.

Don't the 01 Cobras have the same horsepower 305? The one Mach 1 I saw run couldn't get out of the 14's at Cal Speedway. I raced his friend in a yellow 01 Cobra. The cobra and I both ran a crappy 14.0, within 7 hundredths of each other, me being on top. 100+ deg. 1300 ft alt, 10 mph wind in face.

Looks like the vid might prove that 305 hp is under rated or the mach is a bit restricted from the factory.

Last edited:

Poisoned Pony

The Mach that Rocks
Established Member
Re: Re: Mach 1 vs Firehawk

Originally posted by blk96SVT
Awesome kill!! Sounds like a ton of fun, and somebody you know witnessed the kill!! Did your 96 Cobra have 4.30 gears? Mine pulls like crazy compared to the stock 3.27's! I want to race a Mach 1!

My '96 had 4.30 gears, Steeda pullies, custom CAI, off road H and 2 chamber Flows. Best dyno nunbers were 268rwhp. Best 1/4 was 129, but was slipping lately before I sold it.

the Mach laid down 270rwhp and 292rwtq with just 500 miles on the clock. I'm getting a more up to date dyno this saturday, now iwth 3600 miles on the clock. Hitting the track a week from friday :burnout:

Poisoned Pony

The Mach that Rocks
Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraBro
I had heard you say something about that...

How does the Mach1 sound? Iv seen an in person, iv seen em in pictures... But I havent got to here em yet.

stock, it sounds pretty agressive. It's still alittle quiet for my tastes, but I'll be resolving that soon. Here's a vid from the dyno day:

Right click, save as:
http://www.sn8k.com/media-misc/Poisoned_Pony_072703_01.mpg

Users who are viewing this thread