mach 1 overheating

machnem

Established Member
i had my a/c fixed and now my car is overheating when i drive it with and without the a/c running. i put a new overflow tank and fan on it because the last over flow tank expanded and messed up the fan and it just over heated again. what do you think the problem could be? :??:

sdg97232

Established Member
Maybe air in the coolant system...........the bleed off cap thats on the coolant crossover tube is notorious for being stripped......if its not see if there is any air in the system.....thats were id start 1st.

4a7191a

Established Member
thats where i would start as well. and maybe replace the T stat for safety reasons. they can fail from time to time.

also is the fan coming on?

MACHSTAR

Established Member
My 03 Mach is doing the same thing I have replaced the t stat but still overheating my Mach only has 43k miles on it

Machery

Established Member
As mentioned before, you have to remove the bleeder cap that is on the crossover pipe up top in front. As you fill the engine with antifreeze, air escapes. As soon as antifreeze starts to run out, put the cap in. Watch the hole and add the antifreze slowly and be prepared to put the cap in quickly as you can make a mess quickly. If you get any antifreeze on the pulleys or belts, rinse them off quickly and thoroughly or the belt will be ruined and squeal forever. Then let the engine warm up and see what happens.

Devcon 7

Established Member
If you bought a parts store thermostat take it back. They sell the same one for both a dohc and gt. They're different when compared to side by side.

Socal Mach

300+ club
Established Member
How do you get the air out of the system

Raise the front of the car. 6-8" should be fine.
Take out the crossover fill plug. 1/4" drive.
have someone keep the rpm's up a little, just to keep the fluids going.
Keep filling the coolant into the crossover until full.
Replace plug.

Done.

Users who are viewing this thread