Mach 1 heads

Ryan427

Established Member
im looking for a spare set of heads for my 03 mach. I believe it's starting to get the head tick so I would like to get a extra set that I can have cleaned up and rebuilt. So that leads to my question. Which heads will fit on my engine and what kind of stuff do I need to look for?

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

JeronimoJC

Established Member
I suggest sticking with 'C' heads (03-04 Mach1 and Marauder). Get a 3 angle valve job, resurface them, install 98 Cobra cams and degree them. Then sell your old heads.

JeronimoJC

Established Member
HP increase due to longer duration and degreeing. Cobra 96-98 actually. They are affordable compared to other cam alternatives. You only need the intake cams. The exhaust cams are the same.

If you have forced induction you may want to do a search for GT cams.

Last edited:

VA-Mach1

Established Member
From my limited reading about heads. It's my understanding that the 03-04 Mach1 heads are the best heads. Others will work yes, but they lack a little in different areas compared to the 03-04 Mach1 heads.

JeronimoJC

Established Member
Will navigator or aviator heads work by chance?

Mach1, Marauder, Lincoln Aviator, and I believe 03 Cobra heads are all 'C' heads. The next step up would be FR500 heads.

You'll also want a cooling mod if you don't have one already. Cylinders 6, 7, and 8 run hotter on these heads.

Last edited:

Ryan427

Established Member
Good information, would rebuilding my heads be better then since mine are mach 1 heads? Is it cost effective to replace the valve guides?

JeronimoJC

Established Member
Good information, would rebuilding my heads be better then since mine are mach 1 heads? Is it cost effective to replace the valve guides?

If that's an option then absolutely use your heads. I thought you were trying to avoid downtime.

I don't know about guides. You should replace valve seals though. This should be part of the valve job. I bought these:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416035806.476491.jpg

You'll also need a head changing kit. I bought this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416035993.969464.jpg

Ryan427

Established Member
That is exactly why I was looking for an extra set of heads for limiting the downtime. But I had to ask if it would be better since I already have the mach heads. Is there a place that a lot of you guys get your used heads or am I better off trying to find some used ones on here?

Ryan427

Established Member
If i found a good deal on some 99-01 cobra heads is that a no no? what kind of power loss am i looking at? now keep in mind this is not a race car i daily this thing so im not trying to make loads of power. i would be putting 98 cobra cams on with the heads. so lets hear your opinions

JeronimoJC

Established Member
I believe 99-01 Cobra heads are also 'C' heads. You may want to confirm with a search. If they are 'C' heads then you are set.

Hopefully someone else can weigh in too.

Nightmare90gt

Established Member
99-01 cobra heads don't flow as good as the 03/04 heads. Also you want the 04/05 heads do to them having 9 thread spark plug holes vs 4 on the 03 and below.

c3pown

If you're still looking for some Mach 1 heads I have a pair. They're 4 thread but in good shape and already cleaned up. They're not fully loaded. I have the cams for them but they're without springs, seals, rockers and cam guides but I no longer need them and would let them go very cheap since they're pretty much just sitting around.

I have some 96 Mark VIII B heads as well that i'd be willing to let go. They are fully loaded with cams, springs and all. I'm pretty sure you could use the springs and cam journals and what not from the B heads to complete the Mach 1 C heads. As I said its extra stuff just sitting around so not looking to get rich off it just looking to get rid of it.

If you're interested hit me up with what you feel is a reasonable offer. 5204619773

Users who are viewing this thread