maca need some solid advice

booricua

A JODER
Established Member
Need some tech advice, My terminator is spilling antifreeze from the radiator overflow tank. Car was stored for a few month over the winter here in korea.

No leak anywhere else and the thermostat seem to open and close.

I would like to believe the overflow tank is warped. but before, I go odering one wonder what else could be.

should I just remove the thermostat...

buy canton or similar over flow tank.

I did put in a new cap??? problem continues
:fm:

NeverFastEngh

Established Member
How long idling does it take to do it. If it less than 5 min of idling chances are your thermostat isnt opening. I dont see how your tank could warp though. And you did put on a new cap or are you going too?

booricua

A JODER
Established Member
Put in a new cap already. same problem. I went to the gas station today and while filling up gas I remove the cap and watch: cap removed it took about 5 minuets to over spilled. For some reason cap was not the issue?

I am thinking of removing the thermostat?? I am really puzzeled

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
My redfire vert did this. My problem was the thermostat wasn't cycling properly. It did open/close eventually, but not soon enough. lol. I wouldn't remove it, but try replacing it.

booricua

A JODER
Established Member
Mike , Edison thanks for your replies... Called Billy just now he is ending me the parts, I really hope is the thermostat giving me a load of crap and not something more serious.
anyone else had this happened to their Cobra??/

Btw if someone has Service manual instruction on how to properly replace the Anitifreeze and bleed the system please send PDF file to [email protected]

If this dont solve my issues; I guess blast off be heading back to the US...:cryying: for a very long time storage....:nonono:

Last edited:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Burping the system isn't tough...there is a fitting on the black cross tube that runs in front of your blower that you can remove to get the air out. They tend to get stuck though, so take care not to strip it.

That is the high point in the system actually, so you should be able to top it off from there as well.

booricua

A JODER
Established Member
Thanks I did this just now. Just to keep it cool. I dont drive the car much here too much stuck on traffic. Luckly it did not strip. once I recieve the parts from billy I will go thru the hole system flush. I 've read the system is almost 6 gal to refill.. Just want to make sure I leave no air in the system after the new thermostat is installed.

Do I have to keep both cross over and the over flow open while bleeding or just one.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Just the cross over should work fine. I generally fill it from the overflow first, just because the cap is bigger and it's easier to avoid making a mess. After that, you should be able to fill it from the cross over tube only. Once you've got it filled, you will need to start it to let the coolant circulate in order to get the last of the air out of the system. Put the fitting back in, and after it warms up, I'd check it one more time to make absolutely sure that you've gotten all the air out of the system. Just be careful to let it cool first so you don't burn yourself when removing that fitting after it's been warmed up.

Also, just as another FYI, don't ever add cold coolant to a hot car...the thermal shock can damage parts. You probably already know this if you are willing to work on the car yourself, but I figured I'd stick it here as a reminder just in case, or for those who happen to stumble upon this with a search.

Last edited:

booricua

A JODER
Established Member
WORD You are right! I will follow this, got burned once with a TOYOTA about 20 years ago (LOL) no fun there ... I hope the numbnuts at the poest office process my mail quickly this time, weather over here is getting nice...

thanks for the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread