Mac long tubes or catback???

Erich

Established Member
The current budget from my 4V build is getting thin.
Two sort of deficiencies in my car....stock GT catback and currently have 03cobra exhaust manifolds for the 4V.
Eventually I will be running a D1SC procharger on this.

So it seems like now is the time to do longtubes if any. My choice is chrome Mac long tubes due to the price. Is that a good investment? The ceramic coating is basically for looks (?) If it is like Kooks or nothing, I will go with nothing and think more about a 2.5 inch catback to match my X pipe diameter.
Erich

Venomous Cobra

ballinn!!!
Established Member
I would get a Cat Back 1st than do long tubes IMO.

Ceramic coated makes the header last longer (not supposed to rust) but they do sooner or later. The chrome headers especially mac will rust pretty quick if it's always out side and daily driven.

Last edited:

fire

Bleeding Blue
Established Member
If your motor is out I would DEFINITELY do long tubes now, even if it isn't my long tubes are probably my favorite part of my car... Definitely get ceramic coated though, that chrome will come off and rust while the ceramic coat still looks good for a much longer time.. I'd save the extra penny, get ceramic coated, and by some cheap mufflers to stick in your stock system till you get money for a catback

5.4 speedster

Banned
the hts coating on mac headers is nothing more than spray paint. I have a mac catback on my car and it is the most aggresive sounding catback made in my opinion. You will pick up power with the catback but not as much as you would with the headers.
I would do the catback and save up for better headers

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
save the money now until you can buy a better set of headers, you def. want ceramic coating as it helps the headers last longer and dissipates heat much more efficiently

351inside

Established Member
i wouldnt go nothing less thatn bbk! but if i had the money defenately would ket kooks, or something along that line!

Erich

Established Member
The other option is do nothing and put the money towards getting the D1 quicker.
Are the only headers worth getting the kooks? BBK supposedly have a nasty kink in them. The slp seem to be just as expensive as kooks so kooks wins. Hooker?

On the catback, it just seems wrong to go thru a 2.5 inch X that then necks below 2.25 inches on the stock exhaust with a few bumpy turns. As far as sound, I want quiet but high flow.
Erich

Users who are viewing this thread