Mac Header install 03 Cobra ---- My experience --- couple of pointers

mhinchley

Established Member
Not going to do a write up because there are many out there already. Just gonna offer a few tips, applicable to all, but especially the poor saps laying on the ground, like me. (I swear within the next year I am putting a lift in the garage).

1. Spray penetrant on everything the day before. Maybe a couple of times. If you are dead set on removing every stud, buy a stud extractor as you will probably need it. I was able to remove all except 2, and I just clean them up and left them in there.

2. Buy a new set of factory studs & nuts. I did not do this & had to use some of the Mac header bolts because some of the old studs/nuts were in too bad of shape to reuse. I think the studs are much better, allow you to easily align the gasket, and down the road give you 2 different ways to remove them, if they become stubborn.

3. Remove the K member. Yes some have did it without doing so, but trust me, it is not worth the hassle. There is little enough room as it is. Literally we are only talking 15 nuts & or bolts, if my memory serves me correctly & this includes the calipers, rack & pinion, & tie rod ends. I have a tubular, and I still removed it. Takes under an hour if you have an impact.
IMAG1756_zps838052ff.jpg

3. Basic sockets, extensions, a u-joint will get to the nuts to get the manifolds off. Do yourself a favor, & buy a 13mm crowsfoot wrench for the install. There are a couple nuts on each side, where this thing is priceless & with it, you can still torque to spec vs trying to use a stubby wrench. The two rear most ----- lowers on passenger side are almost impossible without it. Piece of cake with it. AND remove the passenger side motor mount. It is only 3 nuts/bolts & saves a ton of irritation.
IMAG1758_zps7a72c19d.gif

IMAG1757_zpsc7684f4e.jpg

4. When installing mid pipe, especially in Mac Pro Chamber, make sure it is running parallel to floorboard before you tighten it down, or you will loose ground clearance.

5. YES you need O2 wire extenders for the front 2 sensors.

All in all, it was not a bad job. I took the time while I had the clearance opened up to install a SLP line lock and to flush the old brake fluid out of the system (also got to install new MC since I stripped on of the line fitting threads). I also change tranny fluid while things were opened up. Discovered I had a couple ripped seal boots on front calipers, so rebuilt them. This was done over a couple weeks just because the weather has been so crappy, I was not in a big hurry. If I had to guess, the header & mid pipe was probably 12 hours total, less all the extra crap. I could probably cut it in 1/2 if I were to do it again, now that I know the ins & outs of it. I used Percy gaskets. I ran through 3 heat cycles and re-torqued before reinstalling the K member. Which reminds me, I was able to do that because I spent $80 @ Harbor Freight and bought this engine support:
IMAG1737_zps9526e7f0.jpg

Sounds great with Magnaflow Catback and not too loud or raspy. That is all. I will come back and edit if I think of anymore useful advice.
IMAG1759_zpsa8c260c2.jpg

IMAG1756_zps838052ff.jpg

IMAG0002_zps4960dc52.jpg

IMAG0003_zps3d7d09c6.jpg

Last edited:

D-MANN

Established Member
I went with Lethals offroad X. Sounds awesome but I do wonder whats sounds better. Offroad X or Prochamber.

mhinchley

Established Member
I lean toward quieter.........so subjective. Had bassani o/r X with borla stingers with the manifolds and it was OBNOXIOUS imo. First thing I took off the car when I got it home......lol. I have ran the pro chamber & magnaflows on a couple different cars, and personally, it suits me to a T.

cobra9903

Born11/22/02 No.3935/8394
Established Member
I lean toward quieter.........so subjective. Had bassani o/r X with borla stingers with the manifolds and it was OBNOXIOUS imo. First thing I took off the car when I got it home......lol. I have ran the pro chamber & magnaflows on a couple different cars, and personally, it suits me to a T.

I just did the same install, I did almost everything the same as you did except I didn't pull the k member I have a UPR. As far as you exhaust choice I agree with you 100% Perfect sound Im not into the real loud either!

gnatsumarboc03

Established Member
Cool, I installed Mac longtubes in my driveway not to long ago...it wasn't too bad, and I did the install alone.

mhinchley

Established Member
Cool, I installed Mac longtubes in my driveway not to long ago...it wasn't too bad, and I did the install alone.
Me too. Friends & relatives stay away when there is a vehicle in the garage. Several even call and ask if I am working on anything.......before they stop by. Thank goodness for the check-ball, one way bleeder valves.

Last edited:

04DSGv6

Established Member
Silly question... I bought my Cobra with BBK headers already installed and the previous owner said they were the reason the car has no dipstick... Were you able to keep the oil dipstick after the install of these headers?

Also, how are the quality of these? Seems like some people stray away from lower priced headers due to "quality".

mhinchley

Established Member
I ran mac headers & pro chamber on 640hp fox 331 T-trim & I had no issues with their quality. Back in the early days there were some complaints on the Cobras, but I don't really hear any today.

They installed very nicely on this Cobra & had no fitment issues what-so-ever. Fit like a glove, which was nice. Yes the flanges on these are split so dipstick remains in place, even during install. I never even unbolted it. the starter was not unbolted either.

I have read with BBK that people have a hell of a time with the dipstick installs, but according to American Muscle, the dipstick can be reinstalled. See step #30:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/bbk-longtube-headers-9904-install.html
Otherwise maybe get a flexible dipstick that you can router on your own. I had to do that on my fox. I would hate to have to swap headers, just for a dipstick, but I personally would not run without a dipstick either.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread