MAC Ceramic Coated Headers Installed

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
Here's some pics of my header install this past weekend. We dropped the k-member and the install was pretty simple:

2438071CobraHeaders1.jpg

2438072CobraHeaders2.jpg

They fit great and the amazing thing is that the ground clearance was not reduced by the headers:

2438073UndersideofCobra.jpg

:beer:

2001blkR

Established Member
Just installed mine too. Some guy or company is selling the ceramic coated ones for 350 on ebay.

Fat-cat

Established Member
looks good.. i had my kooks coated a couple months ago.. cant wait to put them in this spring. Hope i dont loose ground clearance either as my shit is low enough already.

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
Same one's I had with my old Whipple setup. It brought me down 2psi and I stayed at the same exact horsepower so I threw it right back in and gained 35 RWHP/40 RWTQ.

I also did the k-member at the same time as you can see. :D

IMG_3652.jpg

IMG_3678.jpg

IMG_3679.jpg

IMG_3684.jpg

Satyr

Established Member
I am about to order a set of these from Lethal...just the chromed ones. I am going to coat them myself.

How difficult was the install? I had my last set installed at a shop because I was too lazy to do it, but I want to save the money on labor. Did you use the grade 8 fasteners with them? Also, did you retain the stock EGR setup?

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
I am about to order a set of these from Lethal...just the chromed ones. I am going to coat them myself.

How difficult was the install? I had my last set installed at a shop because I was too lazy to do it, but I want to save the money on labor. Did you use the grade 8 fasteners with them? Also, did you retain the stock EGR setup?

The install is time consuming and will take a couple of people, but it's not very difficult. Here it is in a nutshell.

• Use a motor hoist and suspend the long block in the engine bay as seen in the picture above (I removed my hood to refrain from damaging it accidentally during this process).
  • Loosen the front wheels so that their easily removable once the car is in the air.
  • Jack the car up and place it on jackstands (make sure that there is support under the transmission just in case the motor hoist should fail).
  • Remove mid-pipe.
  • Drop k-member.
  • Remove manifolds (clean up where the new gaskets will go).
  • Install new headers and gaskets (make sure to use gasket sealer to reassure that there won't be any exhaust leaks).
  • Install new mid-pipe.
  • Reinstall k-member (make damn sure that everything is tight and up to par on their torque specs).
  • Put the wheels back on and lower the car.
  • Remove the engine hoist and you're done.

These headers fit great and didn't require any modifying to get them to sit perfectly.

Do you have to get a retune for it?

Yes. Especially if you're going from a catted mid-pipe to an O/R mid-pipe. I was running so damn rich that gas was dripping out of the dumps at some points.

BO TY KLR

Established Member
OP looks good. Sure you will enjoy. Took me about 10hrs taking my time, on garage floor, pulling k-member. As stated above, time consuming but not difficult. As for ground clearance, macs LT are better than the catted midpipe i had on there. I'm low so ground clearance is a must.

Last edited:

massmustang02

I hate Wrist Pins
Established Member
Just installed mine as well. I agree with the time consuming but not difficult. Just from starting it up I can tell the sound alone will make it worth while.

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member

The installation isn't difficult as long as you remove the k-member. However, I wouldn't even attempt to install them without removing the k-member. I used the grade 8 fasteners and new stock gaskets (I picked them up from Steve @ Tousley Ford). Zero leakage issues.:beer:

I'd also recommend picking up the ceramic coated ones in lieu of trying to put a coating over the chrome. Most chrome headers tend to peel over time and if the chrome is no longer bonded to the metal, the coating on top of the chrome will come off too...:uh oh:

Do you have to get a retune for it?

You will definitely need a retune after the headers are installed since the exhaust system will flow much better. I picked up 29 HP by installing my headers (street tune went from 595 to 624 RWHP). I expect the gains to be even bigger for my strip tune since the stock manifolds created more restriction at higher boost levels.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

redford

Established Member
is everyone renting the engine hoists? buying?? i wanna install mine and save some money for more parts(this would be where you would insert one of those cute little smiley faces!)

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
is everyone renting the engine hoists? buying?? i wanna install mine and save some money for more parts(this would be where you would insert one of those cute little smiley faces!)

We used an automotive lift at a friend's garage (not cheap :lol1:) and an engine support. The engine support can be bought at Harbor Freight for around $60.

2438081CobraEngineSupportBar.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread