Mac 3in CB and VRS X Pipe Fitment

cobraCMDR

I Whine
Established Member
It does not fit without modification. I just figured I would post for others wanting to try this combo. I have a 04 cobra vert and I installed a VRS offroad x pipe last night and tried to bolt up the mac 3 in cb I already had. The passenger side muffler will not clear the irs subframe. The drivers side has plenty of clearance and fits perfect. I'm taking the muffler portion of the passenger CB to the exhaust shop today to have 1 inch cut off of it. That is about all you need to make it fit right. I'll post a video when I finish tonight.

Ken

cobraCMDR

I Whine
Established Member
the aftermarket x pipe ball flange sets back further than the stock has been my observation. That coupled with the mac dual 3 inch cat back has a bushing that sits inside the pipe so it can mate with the 2.5 x pipe or stock h. The ball flange/adapter/x pipe tolerance stackup and/or design.

ScareCrow

"Facts are stupid things"
Established Member
Interesting. Suprised that the ball flange would sit back further. Not sure if VRS has high quality or not , wonder if that played a roll with it being off.

cobraCMDR

I Whine
Established Member
Well being a mechanical engineer and an avid wrench turner I really don't care about fitment. All I care about is sound. Let me tell you this exhaust combination is the best for the 03-04 cobra. It sounds like nothing else. It cost me 11 bucks to have the cat back modified. Fits like a glove now! The sounds it makes are incredible. I'll post a video tonight.

ScareCrow

"Facts are stupid things"
Established Member
Definately need to get some drive by's. Sorta hard to hear the tone from that video.

Now for the question , when driving , do you get any of the harley blatt / metal ringing sound when accelerating. Its the only thing holding me back from getting another o/r pipe.

cobraCMDR

I Whine
Established Member
there is a bit of the pennies in a can sound but not a lot. I'll get some driving sounds in a few days. It is not real raspy or backsnappy when you decelerate either

Users who are viewing this thread