M105, M205, Pad combination on 03 cobra

tombo9876

Established Member
Detailing 03 redfire cobra, did a few test spots with m105/m205 and orange/white pad combinations. Didn't see much difference between m205 and orange, m105 and orange followed with m205 and white, and m105 and orange. Granted, the car is pretty scratch free, but the minor water spots and light marring that was present was all taken off and the finish left behind by all three combinations seemed identical. I'm using a 500W work light to inspect the panel. I would think I would be able to see a difference - is it possible I'm not working the product in well enough? Doing 4 section passes over a 24"x24" area more or less with medium pressure. About 5 pea size drops of product on the pad. I'll try to take some pictures and get opinion of if the paint looks good

Electrokid

Established Member
That is why you start with the least abrasive, and work your way up if it needs it, and why you do a test spot. Obviously the 205 worked for you right off the hop, so there is no need to use the others.

UncleDan

Established Member
About 5 pea size drops of product on the pad.

This may sound stupid, but trust me, don't over do it with the polish. You'll actually be working against yourself. 5 drops is fine to prime the pad at first, but after that you should be using 2-3 at the most. If the foam gets too saturated with polish then it won't cut.

M105/205 is a two step combo. Always use the 105 first and finish with the 205. That's how Meguiar's designed it to work.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
This may sound stupid, but trust me, don't over do it with the polish. You'll actually be working against yourself. 5 drops is fine to prime the pad at first, but after that you should be using 2-3 at the most. If the foam gets too saturated with polish then it won't cut.

M105/205 is a two step combo. Always use the 105 first and finish with the 205. That's how Meguiar's designed it to work.

Thanks for sharing this that makes sense

tombo9876

Established Member
On a clean pad I don't feel like 4-5 drops would come close to priming it... I'm talking pretty small drops here... literally pea size. 4-5 drops on a dry pad would still be pretty darn dry. I'll go down to using 3 drops after it's primed. I do wipe down the pad after every 3 or 4 sections so it's not too saturated.

Makes sense that the clear is good enough that I only need 205. I was just a little surprised to not see any difference between the combinations. I would think leaving off at m105 without a follow up would look different.. maybe my eyes just suck

UncleDan

Established Member
On a clean pad I don't feel like 4-5 drops would come close to priming it...

Theirs more to priming the pad than just hitting it with 4-5 drops of polish. You need to dabb it around the section you're working on and then work the polish until the abrasives diminish.

Here's what get's it done for me:

-4-5 small drops on a brand new pad, dabb the pad around a 2'x2' section to spread the polish.
-Polish the area until abrasives diminish, AKA it "flashes."
-Hit the pad with a light myst of detail spray, polish again for a moment.

After that, it's primed. You only need to add 2-3 small drops at a time as you continue to work each section.

xtremeskime21

Established Member
I prime my pads with a little detail spray off the bat...then add my 3 pea sized drops to the pad per each 2x2 section.

igotyofire

Established Member
Since 105 is more expensive & harder to find I usually just prime the pad with ultimate compound which is cheaper and be found anywhere and then apply the 105 or 205. However I use the 205 with a white pad since 205 is closer to a polish. And Ultimate compound is probably what you should switch too if you don't need the 105. Are you doing this by hand? What machine are you using?

Here is an example of my results with M105, & then followed by 205. With my porter cable machine. My paint is 18 years old & it my paint has never be detailed since I have owned the vehicle & 105 cut down on the number of passes I probably would have needed if I just used UC. I think you may benefit from checking out this chart here http://www.autopiaforums.com/Todd-Helme/polish-chart.jpg Like the other people mentioned you want to use the least amount of cut possible to get the job done otherwise you are just cutting down more of the clear coat unnecessarily so put that M105 away if you don't need it. and use that 205 with a with a white pad. However I haven't really developed my polishing technique , but I have no problem with the heavier cutting compounds like you. :)

1425618_10152005944451438_664348703_n.jpg

Last edited:

Adower

Established Member
Detailing 03 redfire cobra, did a few test spots with m105/m205 and orange/white pad combinations. Didn't see much difference between m205 and orange, m105 and orange followed with m205 and white, and m105 and orange. Granted, the car is pretty scratch free, but the minor water spots and light marring that was present was all taken off and the finish left behind by all three combinations seemed identical. I'm using a 500W work light to inspect the panel. I would think I would be able to see a difference - is it possible I'm not working the product in well enough? Doing 4 section passes over a 24"x24" area more or less with medium pressure. About 5 pea size drops of product on the pad. I'll try to take some pictures and get opinion of if the paint looks good

Sometimes you dont need something as abrasive as the 105. That just means less work for you if the 205 and the white pad worked. You should finish with the 205 and not with the 105. Looks like you went 205/105 in your last run. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread