M/T ET II Drag Tires & Wheel Question

boss351cj

Established Member
Hi-

I am going to buy two M/T ET II Drag Radial DOT tires sized 305/35/19" , and mount them on the 2013 GT500 Style wheels from American Muscle just to use when I want to launch it harder on the street . Although American Muscle lists 19 X 10" wheels , they don't have the charcoal color only in the 9.5" width . They do have them in black @ 10" wide though, but will not match the fronts colorwise . Do you think these will be wide enough for the M/T tires, as they recommend a 10" wide wheel? Thanks, Dave Christo

:??:

masonh

Established Member
I would go at least 10" but yes you can fit a 305 on a 9.5" rim, you can actually puit a 325 on a 9.5" rim if you want. But it will bulge and it won't wear correctly and worst of all you won't be getting the full 305 which is why you want a wider tire anyway. i don't know how much width you will lose mis-matching tires/wheels like that and I'm sure it will still be quite a bit wider than the oem 285 but you will lose some width from the bulging.

I believe the 9.5" rim is already technically maxed out at 285.

I would also question the safety if your car is really fast in the quarter, for instance if your car is stock then you will probably be totally safe running it up to 125 or so and then braking, but if you car was highly modded and say runs 150 in the quarter, then I don't know how comfortable i would feel with bulging tires on the rear wheels.

The Forgestars look good on the Shelby's and i think they have most sizes in stcok and they are still pretty cheap at like 4 bucks a piece.

Njtony

Established Member
Went with the 18x10 replica wheels a while back with the mt dr's. This change lowered the gearing a little bit and the car still goes through the traps in third. I'm able to be run consistently in the mid to low 11's now with my otherwise stock car versus the stock tires driving me crazy. The replica wheels themselves are a close but not an exact match in color and the surface texture is different.

cclark

Established Member
Went with the 18x10 replica wheels a while back with the mt dr's. This change lowered the gearing a little bit and the car still goes through the traps in third. I'm able to be run consistently in the mid to low 11's now with my otherwise stock car versus the stock tires driving me crazy. The replica wheels themselves are a close but not an exact match in color and the surface texture is different.

You can probably get some better sidewalled drag radials with this 18s than 20s

AMWill

OP,

You really shouldn't run a 305/35/19 tire on a 9.5" rim. I know people have run a 305 or a 9.5" wheel before, but they probably had more sidewall too. Without much sidewall you're not able to fit as many wheel sizes as other tires.

Send me a PM if you need any assistance being out a better drag step-up!

Shane

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
You will have no problem with that 305 on a 9.5" wheel.
Wider on the wheel is always better, but it is in no way unsafe, go for it!
-J

futurocp

Established Member
Any more pics of your car with these on with the fronts? Looks good!

Nah, sorry Ive got the base gt500 wheels up front..the ams black wheels setup is just for the drag strip, which Ive never had the chance to visit just yet:cryying:

Users who are viewing this thread