lund tune or dyno tune??

13GT500SG

Established Member
Thats the question. I see the numbers van just got out of his 13 with very simple boltons and lund tune! I am going to do pulley, intake, tb, headers with o/r xpipe. Is lund going to be a SAFE tune. Also will it be very close to maximizing the potential of these modifixations? Im torn between a duno tune with a local guy or just doing the lund tune..... i dont want to leave 20hp on the table bc of tune. As i dont want my rpms hangin when i let off the throttle. Anyone have the pulley n all bolt ons with a lund tune??? Are you happy with everything.

It would be awesome if someone did a comparison on drivability AND power between a lund tune and the a custom dyno tune from someone who knows these cars well... thanks for your feedback!

bull3441

Established Member
You '13 guys :nonono: Lund is from PA, you're from PA! Not that hard to get a dyno tune from Jon. Buy the parts from Van and have Jon tune it.

13GT500SG

Established Member
I know but suposedly its hard to get his time... i also could go with johnny lightning. Jlp. Any reviews on a tune from johnny??

bull3441

Established Member
I know but suposedly its hard to get his time... i also could go with johnny lightning. Jlp. Any reviews on a tune from johnny??
DO NOT use JLP. You can call L&M in Hatboro or Evolution and arrange a tune with Jon. Jon has always replied to my emails and dyno tuned my car @ L&M.

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
I would rather leave 20 hp on the table with a Lund Safe tune, than some local guy with half the experience of Jon. I know too many horror stories from people who went to a local dyno- tune shops and the car won't run right or goes boom within 500 miles. I know you can get a better tune on the dyno, but it depends on who's doing it. I really don't even think you'd leave 20 hp on the table with a mail order tune from Jon.

13GT500SG

Established Member
Thanks iceman! If i knew difference was was maybe 5 to 10 hp and drivability was good then id just get a mail order and call it a day!

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I would rather leave 20 hp on the table with a Lund Safe tune, than some local guy with half the experience of Jon. I know too many horror stories from people who went to a local dyno- tune shops and the car won't run right or goes boom within 500 miles. I know you can get a better tune on the dyno, but it depends on who's doing it. I really don't even think you'd leave 20 hp on the table with a mail order tune from Jon.

this.

bull3441

Established Member
Thanks iceman! If i knew difference was was maybe 5 to 10 hp and drivability was good then id just get a mail order and call it a day!
Don't get caught up on a number. One you're never gonna able to put to the ground W/O suspension mods. Two reliability is worth more than 10-20 whp. Do you have an additional $18-20k for a long block if your motor pops? I'm seeing a lot new '13 owners who want a 700+ whp and have no idea the upkeep that comes along with that power. Just some friendly advice, you'd be surprised how many parts begin to fail at that power level.

13GT500SG

Established Member
Anybody with lund tunes? Whate are your thoughts? Anybody have trouble with the mail order tune?

Van@RevanRacing

The purpose of what I posted earlier today was for examples such as this. I noticed you mentioned my results in the OP. All of the tunes I have run on my car are what I would sell to my customers. Email tune requests from Lund Racing. All of the dyno testing and results are email tunes. I had scheduled to have Jon available if I had a situation arise but nothing happened and the results are pretty outstanding!!

Van

johnjon87

Established Member
The way to do it is try to reserve Jon a day at the track and have him tune it there.. Even Jon can put down some good #s on the rollers but the real tunes are done at the track! But that's extreme just saying..

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

13GT500SG

Established Member
Thanks van. I think im just gonna order an sct tuner with a jon lund tune from you. Do you feel just as confident getting a mail order tune with a pulley and headers??

Van@RevanRacing

Thanks van. I think im just gonna order an sct tuner with a jon lund tune from you. Do you feel just as confident getting a mail order tune with a pulley and headers??

Yes. I am just as confident in those tunes as well and have a number of customers running them.

I would recommend the lower pulley versus the upper at this time. I've been advised of some belt slip issues with the aftermarket upper pulleys. Mostly likely it can be remedied with a shorter HD Green Belt and 90MM Idler if you wanted to go that route.

Van

13GT500SG

Established Member
Yes. Im going to do the 15% . You have sold guys the guys with all bolt ons the lund tune on the 2013s?? What power did theyput down? Was air fuel still great?

gkviper192

Established Member
Lund 100%. No one has the experience he has with these cars when it comes to tuning. I couldn't think of two better people to deal with when it comes to parts and tuning than Van and Jon.

Van@RevanRacing

Yes. Im going to do the 15% . You have sold guys the guys with all bolt ons the lund tune on the 2013s?? What power did theyput down? Was air fuel still great?

11.5 - 11.7 A/F average.

715 - 740 depending on fuel and altitude and pressure.

Lund 100%. No one has the experience he has with these cars when it comes to tuning. I couldn't think of two better people to deal with when it comes to parts and tuning than Van and Jon.

Thank you. Very kind words.

Van

13GT500SG

Established Member
Will it be safe? Also sounds like i could make close to those numbers without a pulley. Would you say that a pulley on these cars is going to cut down the life of my motor?

Van@RevanRacing

There are a lot of guys running 10% and 15% OD pulleys for a very long time. It would be difficult to say it will reduce the longevity of the engine because it is all about use, abuse and maintenance. If you use the car and don't put a WOT Box on the car and/or side step the clutch on drag radials or slicks you'll be fine for the long haul.

13GT500SG

Established Member
Thamks van im going to just get bolt ons with lund tune n shoot for 750 n call it a day lol

Users who are viewing this thread