Lund map on an SCT that I saw this weekend

carguy19

Established Member
A guy with an older GT500 claimed to have a lund tune in his car (a few street and race maps actually).

One of the tunes he called a lopey cam tune. Is this something that exists or was the guy full of shish kabobs? The car sounded great but I only heard it when it was parking then idling in a parking spot, didnt hear him drive it. Then he changed the map to a race gas map to make some passes and poof it was gone.

Is that made for our cars? Is it a separate file or does it get added to your regular 93 octane tune?? Is it safe for the car?

Any help is appreciated. I thought it sounded cool.

Poppacapp

Established Member
I wouldn't want to pose and make my car sound like it had a cam when it really didn't.

Planeswalker

Established Member
Never heard of one on a GT500, but I had one on my 2011 Roush with the 5.0 in it. Sounded amazing.

carguy19

Established Member
Never heard of one on a GT500, but I had one on my 2011 Roush with the 5.0 in it. Sounded amazing.

So they do exist. Was it just something that was a feature and special map when you werent driving the car or was it part of your regular 91 or 93 octane map... like was it on all the time ?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
5.0 coyote 'ghost cam' tune. Can utilize the independent cam timing/overlap at idle for that effect. GT500 don't have this same feature. He might be able to do another way?
-J

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I wouldn't want to pose and make my car sound like it had a cam when it really didn't.

I don't see it as posing if he simply loves the way it sounds. Would be no different than changing your mufflers simply because you like the sound. I like the sound of a lopey cam too. The Boss originally did it too with their red key until they detuned it. :nonono:

Planeswalker

Established Member
So they do exist. Was it just something that was a feature and special map when you werent driving the car or was it part of your regular 91 or 93 octane map... like was it on all the time ?

It was a part of the regular 93 tune, BUT it only kicks in when the engine is WARM and UNDER 1000ish RPMs. Like biminiLX said, it can be done on the 5.0s because of the VVT (Variable Valve Timing). Another little known fact is you can put a massive cam in the 5.0s and you won't hear the lope, once again because of the VVT. The "cam" or "ghost" tunes doesn't add or take away anything from a normal tune, just for sound. My wife actually got into MANY arguments with people asking her what type of cam she had. They couldn't believe that the car could sound like that through a tune and wouldn't sound different with a cam. They always said "That's what happens when somebody gives a girl a nice car" or "You're a girl and don't know what you are talking about" LOL.

Here's a vid of the car to show what it sounds like. I made the video to show how loud it was so the engine wasn't really warmed up, but you can hear it decently well.

2011 Roush- BBK LTs, O/R X-pipe, Roush ABs, Bama Cam Tune - YouTube

Last edited:

NvrEnfHP

Established Member
Cam tune sounds great! I would worry about issues though. I have seen people complain about gas mileage being affected

mullens

Established Member
It does sound good, but a while ago there was some controversy concerning the ghost tune. From what I can remember some 5.0's we're frying #8 piston and some blamed the tune. I believe Ford sent out an advisory to the dealers to specifically look for evidence of a tune if the 8 hole was blown. Not saying the tune is bad or anything but I do remember something like that.

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
It does sound good, but a while ago there was some controversy concerning the ghost tune. From what I can remember some 5.0's we're frying #8 piston and some blamed the tune. I believe Ford sent out an advisory to the dealers to specifically look for evidence of a tune if the 8 hole was blown. Not saying the tune is bad or anything but I do remember something like that.

There were a rash of #8 cylinder failures but they happened with "normal" performance tunes that added in too much timing. The lope tunes are risky for the cats because unless they're perfect, they allow raw fuel to escape into the exhaust (or something like that).

Planeswalker

Established Member
Cam tune sounds great! I would worry about issues though. I have seen people complain about gas mileage being affected

Gas mileage does go down.

There were a rash of #8 cylinder failures but they happened with "normal" performance tunes that added in too much timing. The lope tunes are risky for the cats because unless they're perfect, they allow raw fuel to escape into the exhaust (or something like that).

The #8s were going because of a flaw in the STOCK tune, performance tunes just changed a parameter that could help it happen more easily. Stock engines have blown and the issue has been identified and shared among all major tuners.

Some tuners will not tune for the cam tune unless you have off roads, all my cars have off roads so no issues there.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Fwiw if you lean out the af that's commanded at idle it will give a cam'd like lope.

Users who are viewing this thread