Lucky me....!!!

dagoboy

The Wop
Established Member
Had the L for about 5 months. For the first time i had the truck n the hoist and found long tube headers, high flow cats and ....(the best part)....
a PI 2400 Stall Torque Converter! :rockon: I guess the dealer had no clue what was on the truck.
I just happened to shine a light in the hole on the bottom of the bell housing and saw that beautiful shade of purple!
Is there any way of telling which stall it is?....and what do i need to do to make the Predator see it? It has a old Autologic chip but, i got the Predator
because of other stuff i have added.
I took the old chip out and the truck ran like complete crap.
Any suggestions?

SvtFireFighter

03SvtFireFighter
Established Member
You took the other chip out and it ran like crap because it has long tube is my guess and for the stall you can get it custom tune or canned tune. Some people dont even mess with the converter in the tune but I would make a tune for it lock and unlock just right.

dagoboy

The Wop
Established Member
When i pull the chip out, as soon as i hit 40 it bogs down...kinda like if your driving a manual and you shift into fourth when really you wanted to shift into third and it bogs down until you catch up to the gear.

With the chip in it drives good, except it does not shift out of second until i hit 40mph, so if i am cruising around at 35-38mph, the engine is whining, strung out waitng for the shift change...

Is there something else modded in the truck that would cause the bogging
w/o the chip , or is it the stall and the long tubes?

Some people have said that those mods do not require a tune.
Please help me shed some light on this. :bash:

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
I'm not sure I can help you out on this (still learning new things myself). However, taking the chip out and having the truck run like crap makes sense because you're removing the tune.

So did you think it was stock when you got it? Could it be a lower pulley or something of the sort?

I'm sure someone will chime in with more info.

dagoboy

The Wop
Established Member
No, i knew it wasn't stock. It had a catback and the chip so, i knew something was up. I put on the #4 lower on, and 100mm idler ullies and bracket.

I know taking the chip out removes the tune but, what mod would make the truck run so badly? It is a 2000 but it still has the 80mm MAF just incase someone brings that up.

Thanks for your input NewKid.....kind of ironic that the "newkid" is the only one to help shed some light...

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
dagoboy said:
No, i knew it wasn't stock. It had a catback and the chip so, i knew something was up. I put on the #4 lower on, and 100mm idler ullies and bracket.

I know taking the chip out removes the tune but, what mod would make the truck run so badly? It is a 2000 but it still has the 80mm MAF just incase someone brings that up.

Thanks for your input NewKid.....kind of ironic that the "newkid" is the only one to help shed some light...

Ha, well "NewKid" has been around for awhile *points to post count*

Well if you remove the chip, the tune should go back to stock, and the stock tune will be able to handle a cat-back and 4#er pretty well but, a different torque converter and long tubes, I'm not so sure about that.

And did you install the lower pulley with the old chip on there? Meaning have you tuned it yet? I'm kind of perfectionist, so I would have the thing dyno tuned with all the stuff on there.

It could be that the ecu is still learning everything whenever you take the chip out, causing it to run bad.

dagoboy

The Wop
Established Member
lol.....yeah hi-flow cats, i don't want to leave the old autologic chip, plus i want to get a dyno tune and they have to have some idea of what is on the truck.

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
GTPvsSVT said:
rear o2s....high flow cats right?

could be that...dunno man. leave the chip in... :dw:

Yeah, I missed the high flow part. Maybe, I'm not sure on that.

The 80mm MAF, I don't think is going to be a problem though, it's stock, so why should it? Mine is a 2000 also but has the 90mm MAF. (previous owner put it in). I suppose it can help more but not by much I'm sure.

dagoboy

The Wop
Established Member
Yeah, i noticed your posts....lol... :poke:
I have not had it dyno tuned w/ the 4#....or at all for that matter but, that is why i have to find out what could be on my truck so my local tuner can adjust accordingly.
Thanks again for your input Kid....

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
dagoboy said:
Yeah, i noticed your posts....lol... :poke:
I have not had it dyno tuned w/ the 4#....or at all for that matter but, that is why i have to find out what could be on my truck so my local tuner can adjust accordingly.
Thanks again for your input Kid....

No prob.

If you have a local Lightning club around have them look at it and they should be able to help you out.

You could always dyno it, and if it makes 490HP, you know there are other things on the truck. :lol1:

You know, now that I think about it, I wonder if a FTVB would make the truck run like that with out a tune. I haven't heard much about FTVB's with out tunes. I can't imagine it doing alot of harm without a tune but I'm not sure. But, around 40 it should shitft and a FTVB would be a suspect. And you wouldn't really be able to know if you had a FTVB too easily, especially when you don't have a stock Lightning lying around for comparison.

Anybody have any input on the FTVB theory of mine?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread