LT's finally installed

JJ1997PGSVT

Established Member
Finished my header install yesterday.Wasn't easy, but was done with common hand tools.My Cobra isn't my daily driver, so I took my time doing it, using a write up on Fnsweet.com about install on a gt(thanks fnsweet).Driven it a couple times and could feel a difference, seems like it wants to rev faster. Was gonna do FRPP short tubes, but figured if I'm gonna have to go through k removal and all that, might as well go LT. If anyone is thinking headers, go LT :)

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
How much louder is the exhaust?
I have the same exhaust as you (O/R h and 2 chamber Flows). I LOVE my exhaust tone now. If it got much louder, I think I'd be getting harrassed by the local po-po's

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
i did the frpp short tubes and i regret it now cuz I dont care much about emissions as I once did! but I alos have a tubular k-member so if I change them it will be easier...you made the right choice with long tubes

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
How much louder is the exhaust?
I have the same exhaust as you (O/R h and 2 chamber Flows). I LOVE my exhaust tone now. If it got much louder, I think I'd be getting harrassed by the local po-po's

wont be much louder. Thats the setup I ran. Idle and part throttle/cruise actually got quieter. WOT got considerably louder over 4k.

LT's FTMFW and never look back.

JJ1997PGSVT

Established Member
I think it might have toned down the flowmaster "drone" inside the car that everybody always talks about when you mention flowmaster. Personally, I didn't mind the drone. I'm also thinking tubular k after wrestling with factory k. Wow, that factory one is heavy. Used a motorcycle and atv jack to lower the k and raise the k for re-assembly.

9snakebite6

Banned
Ive installed Kooks Long tubes on mine and noticed a huge difference. Much louder @ 2-2700 or so.... and sounds wicked @ 5-6.6K ....passenger side is a PITA tho. and also had to replace header gaskets within 1000 miles :nonono: and put locking retainer bolts in place of what came with the headers.

03shadowgreygt

Established Member
i installed bbk longtubes on my 98 and it is alot quieter than the mac off road h and mac mufflers, I used an offroad h with the longtubes. I like it alot better now

To the OP make sure you get a retune. Your A/F could easily be off by a full pt. In which direction that point goes is 50/50.

scotty98

8 Ribs
Established Member
when i put my bbk long tubes on it was a little quiter below 3k but deeper and above that its stupid loud. I got a bbk o/r h and mac cat back also:beer:

JJ1997PGSVT

Established Member
To 01cobravortech, OP here. Was wondering if I can get that retune with a handheld tuner or should I take it to someone who specializes in mustangs?

To 01cobravortech, OP here. Was wondering if I can get that retune with a handheld tuner or should I take it to someone who specializes in mustangs?

I think its always best to have it tuned with a wideband that plugs into a bung before the CATS. Its as accurate as you can get. Tunes are worth every penny. Naturally, if you know how to do this yourself then there's no need to pay for a tune. But I wouldn't rely on a generic tune that wasn't designed without you datalogging first.

blackfang

Established Member
I noticed a nice difference throughout the powerband once my LT's went in. Car wasn't too much louder but damn does she scream from 5000-6800

Users who are viewing this thread