LT intsall questions

o0 01 SVT 0o

Established Member
Was going to take a whack at swapping installing my headers and swapping the k member by myself. I was going to use this installation guide

BBK Ceramic Long Tube Headers (99-04 Cobra and 03-04 Mach 1) - Installation Instructions at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping! - Free Shipping!

my question is for the guys who have done the swap already. What steps if any would you change about this? I only ask because i dont want take anything apart that doesnt need to be removed. Also are their any steps that you would add to make life easier?
I am not looking for a step by step walk through just a little help with something i havent done before

kevin01cobra

Friendly MerShaq
Established Member
Good steps, wish I would have seen that for my install. I disagree with the AC. Did not mess with it at all.
Pretty much just start taking off shit then try to do work! The steering shaft is a pain to get back on so be patient. May be a good time to replace your motor mounts. Mine were completely shot and the dissasembly and reasambly caused the car to vibrate. Pick a good gasket.
I'm redoing my install in a week or two because of the things listed above.

kevin01cobra

Friendly MerShaq
Established Member
Last edited:

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
Hope this helps. Just goes to show how much easier putting the car back together will be without the stock K.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminator-talk-229/926729-finished-my-upr-k-pacesetter-headers-coilovers-cc-plates.html
Scroll down and see how the steering shaft turns into a 2 minute installation from an hour of pain with the stock k

No kidding - after I dropped the stock k-member and installed my tubular unit, getting the steering shaft hooked back up was literally a minute or two job.

RioSnake

Twisty SVT Cobra
Established Member
I just did this last weekend, I dropped the motor pretty low when I removed the K member for ease of access. I kept all of the stock studs for the headers with the exception of one on the passenger side; you basically have to put the bolts on the studs while in the process of putting the headers onto the studs. I didn't have a lot of the fitment issues that a lot of people have said. Also to get the steering rack and shaft attached I didn't bolt down the rack until I had the shaft installed.

All and all the install still sucked and I have a couple lingering issues from random other things breaking. I broke the dipstick tube, found that my new Prothane trans mount doesn't fit the BBk mid pipe and I snapped another bolt that I now need a replacement for. Take your time and note where everything comes from

o0 01 SVT 0o

Established Member
Got the install done. I bought a tublar k member but the guys and MMR didnt tell me when i bought it (and asked them) that i need a aftermarket camber kit. So i ended up putting the stock k member back up. was actually a pretty easy install with that guide from american muscle.

2sick4v's

SonicBoom
Established Member
Only thing I could think of is the A/C line. If it's fairly close just bend the line up away from it. Mine touched and it burned through. A bunch of other folks have had that happen as well.

Users who are viewing this thread