LT header install, 5.4 versus 5.8.

Yellow Horse

Established Member
A buddy of mine called me last night and asked me if I would mod his 2013 GT500. He bought a bunch of stuff from Evolution. I have a couple of questions about some of the parts he bought. The first is the headers. I think he said his headers were made by Stainless Works.

I installed Dynatech LT's on my 2010.

Is the install on a 2013 pretty much the same as the 2010 as far as the k-member, steering linkage, dip stick tube.............?

Are the Stainless Works headers pretty much the same install as any other header?

Thanks,
Yeller

94n2boost

Established Member
I installed a set of SW long tubes on my 07 when I had it. I followed the instructions that they provided. As for as the headers being the same you could be the first to let us know if they will work. I checked the web site
Stainless Works Performance Headers
SW doesn't provide any info on the 13 yet. You could give them a call.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
A buddy of mine called me last night and asked me if I would mod his 2013 GT500. He bought a bunch of stuff from Evolution. I have a couple of questions about some of the parts he bought. The first is the headers. I think he said his headers were made by Stainless Works.

I installed Dynatech LT's on my 2010.

Is the install on a 2013 pretty much the same as the 2010 as far as the k-member, steering linkage, dip stick tube.............?

Are the Stainless Works headers pretty much the same install as any other header?

Thanks,
Yeller

It's nearly identical. The only difference being the 2013 has EPAS (Electric Power Assisted Steering).

Yellow Horse

Established Member
I installed a set of SW long tubes on my 07 when I had it. I followed the instructions that they provided. As for as the headers being the same you could be the first to let us know if they will work. I checked the web site
Stainless Works Performance Headers
SW doesn't provide any info on the 13 yet. You could give them a call.

I'm sure the headers will fit. Evolution would not have sold him the headers if they would not fit. I'm trying to figure out the level of hell I am going to be going thru to do the install:

Hell No. 1: Easier than a 2010, like living in hell with Bill Clinton fanning me while I lay on the beach of the Lake of Fire.

Hell No. 2: Same as a 2010, like living in hell using Bill Clinton's carcass as a life raft in the Lake of Fire.

Hell No. 3: Worse than a 2010, like living in hell with Bill Clinton using my carcasss for a life raft in the Lake of Fire.

It's nearly identical. The only difference being the 2013 has EPAS (Electric Power Assisted Steering).

Thanks man. I think the oil filter adapter is different on the 2013 and provides more room unlike the 2010 where the casting of the adapter blocks two of the bolt hole locations making it a lot tougher. Guess I will find out what the EPAS does to make it tougher or not. I removed the motor mounts, lifted, rolled and lowered the engine on my 2010 that made it somewhat easier. I left the KM in place. I will do the same on his 2013.

I tried to get him to buy from Lethal. Evolution is a lot closer. He was going to take his car to them at first. He later changed his mind and had his stuff drop-shipped to a local shop but they kept dragging around till he got pissed and called me.

I appreciate the help. I buy most of my stuff from Lethal and your shipping, delivery and support are top notch. Your sales people always take the time to answer my questions. Same day shipping, 2-day delivery to my address even around holidays.

Last edited:

94n2boost

Established Member
I'm sure the headers will fit. Evolution would not have sold him the headers if they would not fit. I'm trying to figure out the level of hell I am going to be going thru to do the install:

Hell No. 1: Easier than a 2010, like living in hell with Bill Clinton fanning me while I lay on the beach of the Lake of Fire.

Hell No. 2: Same as a 2010, like living in hell using Bill Clinton's carcass as a life raft in the Lake of Fire.

Hell No. 3: Worse than a 2010, like living in hell with Bill Clinton using my carcasss for a life raft in the Lake of Fire.QUOTE]

All the Above! :pepper:

They are just a pain in the ass. :fm:

qachargh

Established Member
Is unbolting the motor and raising it mandatory when putting on headers? I am trying to figure out if I could theoretically take care of the exhaust and shifter in the driveway in one day. Really aren't any shops around me that would consider renting out a bay for an afternoon.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Can only speak from an 11, EPAS makes it easier. I only unbolted the starter, dipstick, and steering rod. Rest was cake. Did have to take out the battery tray. Did it all on jackstands.

Do a writeup on it when you do it. Thinking about upgrading in 2014 but weighing the options

Yellow Horse

Established Member
Is unbolting the motor and raising it mandatory when putting on headers? I am trying to figure out if I could theoretically take care of the exhaust and shifter in the driveway in one day. Really aren't any shops around me that would consider renting out a bay for an afternoon.

You do not have to remove the motor mounts or move the motor around. It just makes some of the fasteners easier to get to. I am willing to do a little work if it makes getting to a few of the fasteners a little easier. Removing the motor mounts alone is not a piece of cake but I am good with my hands.

One day on the ground doing a LT header install can be done but there are things that will wear on your patience. I spread mine out over two Saturdays. The first Saturday I remove the exhaust and stock manifolds and hung the LT's in place. I finished the second Saturday.

I think you have to drop the D/S to install a shifter adding more time. I just look at my buddy's list. He has a new shifter and springs. It's going to be a big job. He wants to do a 3.73 gear. I told him I wanted to put a 3.90 in mine before I did another GT500 gear swap.

Collspec2

Established Member
Installed these exact headers w/no cat X pipe and magnaflow Stainless street system on my 13.They don't match up so some mods needed.
Never did another year so can't compare but it was a mofo. Mostly the left side. Directions come for 11-12 model and there were things I didn't do it called for. Right side was easy though.

Collspec2

Established Member
Installed these exact headers w/no cat X pipe and magnaflow Stainless street system on my 13.They don't match up so some mods needed.
Never did another year so can't compare but it was a mofo. Mostly the left side. Directions come for 11-12 model and there were things I didn't do it called for. Right side was easy though.&&

qachargh

Established Member
Never did another year so can't compare but it was a mofo. Mostly the left side. Directions come for 11-12 model and there were things I didn't do it called for. Right side was easy though.&&

Why exactly did you have to massage it? Did you install the headers and the x-pipe they came with or did you use a different x-pipe?

I'm kind of leaning toward the 2" American Racing headers with the 3" x-pipe. Either way I would most likely be using a Magnaflow cat-back system like you.

BIRDDOC

Established Member
Why exactly did you have to massage it? Did you install the headers and the x-pipe they came with or did you use a different x-pipe?

I'm kind of leaning toward the 2" American Racing headers with the 3" x-pipe. Either way I would most likely be using a Magnaflow cat-back system like you.

2 inch ARH would be extremely tight. I had
1 7/8 installed and there was not a lot of room to play.
Get ready to fill A jar with coins after cussing like never before:)

qachargh

Established Member
2 inch ARH would be extremely tight. I had
1 7/8 installed and there was not a lot of room to play.
Get ready to fill A jar with coins after cussing like never before:)

That's why I curse on credit. How do you like the MGW shifter? That is what I am planning on getting since the knob will color match the car. Did you start it off with 4 turns from base like they recommend?

Collspec2

Established Member

Not sure what you mean "why I had to massage it"? I didn't.
The SW headers came with the X pipe and I opted for non cat. It's supposed to fit into the stock back half. I installed the magnaflow rear section which is supposed to fit up to the stock (I call it) H pipe, or front half. I modified the rear section and X pipe to fit together. Stock is 2-3/4". All my stuff is 3"
Hope i answered your question and Happy to take some pics if anyone is interested in what I did to mate the 2.

BIRDDOC

Established Member
That's why I curse on credit. How do you like the MGW shifter? That is what I am planning on getting since the knob will color match the car. Did you start it off with 4 turns from base like they recommend?

I love the MGW shifter. I recommend that as one of the first mods for the 2013. I did start with 4 turns and it has worked out well so far.

Users who are viewing this thread