LS2 Vs. 05 Stang / Next Cobra?

Metalbassist03

Corvette Junkie
Established Member
I know the LS2 is expected to push around 400 HP and a 0 to 60 in 4.3, GM got smart and went 3V this time.

Anyways, what would win stock vs. stock? The next Cobra or the next Vette?

Which motor do you think would run better / be more mod friendly?

gmcvt

Established Member
Just to let you know, GM didn't "get smart" and install 3 valves in the LS2 engine. Its still contains only "2" valves. Basically, its a revised LS6 engine with a few more cubes.

joeclams9

Established Member
Originally posted by gmcvt
Just to let you know, GM didn't "get smart" and install 3 valves in the LS2 engine. Its still contains only "2" valves. Basically, its a revised LS6 engine with a few more cubes.

On a little side note, I have read that GM has created a 3v head that they should be using on the next Gen Z06...and I think this is what the original poster is referring to. Also, from what I've seen, this head will be backwards compatible with the LS1/6 which has made alot of current Z06 owners quite happy....with all that being said, the next Cobra...or should we say GT350 will probably lose to the Z06 seeing as how the power level will be comparable, but the weight won't...

Now...if they make a Cobra R version(GT500) then all bets are off.

joe

gmcvt

Established Member
Joe, you are correct that the next ZO6 will have a 3 valve head but that engine will be dubbed the LS7. The reason that I posted was because it was the LS2 engine being discussed not the LS7. I also found it very interesting the the post said that GM "got smart" and installed 3 valves. I know this is a SVT site and I will respect that but if you look at the flow figures on GM's "low tech" pushrod 2 valve heads, they flow tremendously well in stock form, far exceeding Fords 2 valve heads and matching the 4 valve heads. If GM can do that with 2 valves one could only speculate what will happen with 3 valves. Please understand that I'm not flaming the Stang. I'm an x-stanger(91lx5.0,94GT,95GT and 2 Cobra's) and still enjoy the car very much and give it do credit where credit is deserved. I also believe that GM should be given credit where credit is due and I believe that most experts agree that GM doesn't have to "get smart" with 3 valves to make enormous amounts of horsepower.
They have already shown they "were already smart" when they designed the "low tech" 2 valve heads. The 3 valve config. is something that they have been working on for a while and this is just the next evolution of the LSx engine series. Anyway, great site, Godspeed:)

gmcvt

Established Member
Also, Joe I noticed that you said "GT350" reguarding the next gen Cobra. It seems I have read some info about this in the past but nothing conclusive. Is this simply rumor or is there possibly something to this. I belive I read it may have something to do with Mr. Shelby(obviously) but thats about the extent of my understanding on the topic. Educate a dumb Chevy guy;-) Thanks!!

Metalbassist03

Corvette Junkie
Established Member
Joe, you are correct that the next ZO6 will have a 3 valve head but that engine will be dubbed the LS7. The reason that I posted was because it was the LS2 engine being discussed not the LS7. I also found it very interesting the the post said that GM "got smart" and installed 3 valves. I know this is a SVT site and I will respect that but if you look at the flow figures on GM's "low tech" pushrod 2 valve heads, they flow tremendously well in stock form, far exceeding Fords 2 valve heads and matching the 4 valve heads. If GM can do that with 2 valves one could only speculate what will happen with 3 valves. Please understand that I'm not flaming the Stang. I'm an x-stanger(91lx5.0,94GT,95GT and 2 Cobra's) and still enjoy the car very much and give it do credit where credit is deserved. I also believe that GM should be given credit where credit is due and I believe that most experts agree that GM doesn't have to "get smart" with 3 valves to make enormous amounts of horsepower.
They have already shown they "were already smart" when they designed the "low tech" 2 valve heads. The 3 valve config. is something that they have been working on for a while and this is just the next evolution of the LSx engine series. Anyway, great site, Godspeed:)

Whoa whoa whoa buddy, never said GM sucked. My dream car is a black Z06. Don't get me wrong, the LS1 and 2 are magnificent motors and I am very pro Corvette (I own shirts even). Anyways, I am just very disappointed in GM in general, the Malibu is suffering on sales, GM stock is hurting, and the "American Revolution" is FAR from American.

Anyways, to the subject. I could of sworn I read somewhere about the LS2 having 3 valves. It seems that 3V heads will be released, so I wasn't just imagining things.

I have a question then, why the name LS1 / 2 etc? Also, it doesn't reall make sense that the LS2 is nearly as powerful, if not more than the LS6.. Or maybe I'm missing something? Care to educate?

gmcvt

Established Member
metalbassisst03, Sorry, I guess I just mis-understood the way you said it. No you weren't just imagining the 3 valves, there just not on the LS2. I know there are other people that could better anwer your questions but I'll give it a shot. The ls1 is essentially a 5.7 aluminum block equipped with the 242 cylinder heads. The LS6 is still 5.7 but with some minor upgrades, along with that came the 243(ls6) cylinder heads that provided better breathing and slightly tighter combustion chamber. The LS2 engine is a 6.0 engine with more improvements in lubrication, cooling and other minor mods. The cylinder heads are essentially cast ls6 heads with very minor changes. These changes between engines are significant enough to merit giving them there own signification. As far as not making sense to give the LS2 engine as much power as the ZO6, well, although it is definately difficult to justify it to people who just bought one, GM must continue to improve on the current engine series and so far they have done one heck of a job. The Z06 has been at it current power level for several years now and the c5 even longer so it was time for an increase. If you think about it, every car that continues to grow is going to have to contiue to refine and the Corvette is definately not exempt from that. I guess its best explained by saying "thats just the breaks". Again, sorry for misinterpreting what you said.

joeclams9

Established Member
Also, Joe I noticed that you said "GT350" reguarding the next gen Cobra. It seems I have read some info about this in the past but nothing conclusive. Is this simply rumor or is there possibly something to this. I belive I read it may have something to do with Mr. Shelby(obviously) but thats about the extent of my understanding on the topic. Educate a dumb Chevy guy;-) Thanks!!

Well, this is something that I have surmised from my own readings along with obvious things recently. These being as follows:

1. Shelby signs on with ford and makes the cobra again!
2. Shelby is heard quoting how much butt this thing is "going" to kick.
3. If that comes out then the mustang cobra cannot be called cobra.
4. Svt intends to make a next gen svt mustang.
5. NY auto show has a mustang GT-R that smells alot like the next Cobra R
6. If shelby wants to end with ford they will surely want to ink his name on anything they can, and the best bet here would be the mustang.

Bottom line on all of this is that a 60's looking mustang that is suped up by ford and needs a name fits perfectly with shelby being there. Which makes perfect sense to be gt-350, while the R would be the 500.

On another side note I also read from one of the lead guys at ford that the next Cobra R will be much more readily available to the public.

joe

Whiskey City

Established Member
Joeclams9,

The docs I've read, internal Ford stuff, say that it's still the Cobra. I've heard that the Carol Shelby concept may be called the Shelby.

Anyway, no flame intenede. Nice piece of detective work...but I fear your incorrect.

Good times either way!:thumbsup:

QuickSilverx

SVT Dreamin
Established Member
on another note between the LS1/2/6 engines, the LS1 also has a lesser cam then the LS6 does. The LS2 because of higher displacement .3L it has a smoother torque curve, however the LS6 engine in the Z06 is still faster, then the LS2 equiped Corvette. The new Z06 corvette with the LS7 engine is rumored to produce 500hp, however I wouldn't be suprised if they released it with 450hp, a 50-55hp margin like they did with the LS1 & LS6 engines.. 350 vs 405.

bobby1

Established Member
Vette with 400 ponies will kick the next cobra with 400 ponies! Why, because the vette weighs about 300/350 pounds less!:loser:

stangvette1

The 2007 cobra will have 500 horsepower, not 400. Therefore it will blow the normal c6 away. It has basically been confirmed by everyone that the next SVT cobra will be a Z06 competitor just like the current 03-04 cobra.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I also believe that GM should be given credit where credit is due and I believe that most experts agree that GM doesn't have to "get smart" with 3 valves to make enormous amounts of horsepower.
No, they just needed cubes, that's all. :D

Users who are viewing this thread