LS1 Vs. Mach 1

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Bob Cosby said:
That was the first year of the "new" Fox-body, and Ford sold almost 370k units. That is compared to ~282k Camaros.

Thanks for posting that. I knew they sold over 300k units but couldn't find the actual number from anywhere so I decided against posting it.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Bob Cosby said:
It is my *opinion* that if the F-body had been profitable, GM would have found a way to keep it alive. That may have meant simply introducing a 5th Gen car 6-7 years earlier than they are going to now, but I am of the belief that they would have. That said, it is only an opinion based on reading various articles and information, and it doesn't mean I'm right or someone else is wrong.

Bob

thanks for your opinion. :beer:

10.5secAWDTALON

Established Member
Bob Cosby said:
Just an FYI on the Mustang/Camaro Sales from 77-79....Camaro did indeed outsell Mustang in 77 & 78, but not in 79. That was the first year of the "new" Fox-body, and Ford sold almost 370k units. That is compared to ~282k Camaros. Coincidentally, 1979 was Camaro's best year ever. 1978 was 2nd (~273k), and 1984 was 3rd (~262k). Mustang's best year was 1966 (~608k).

Another interesting tidbit from much more recent sales history....Mustang sold ~219k in 2000. Camaro sold only ~45k - even though Camaro performance was significantly greater, and prices were very similar. In 2001 it was ~155k to ~29k. Thing had gotten sad, indeed.

One final note...and 10.5secAWDTALON I'm not intentionally trying to pick on you, just noticed a few things....you mentioned the 321 RWHP that MM&FF got out of an LS1 F-body a page or two ago. That is accurate, but it should be noted that MM&FF uses STD vice SAE corrections, meaning the reading is 3-4% high (about 10 RWHP). Still, I agree that M6 LS1s routinely dyno'd 300+ RWHP (on average), especially 01/02 models.

Thanks for your clarifications Bob. :)

It's pretty sad that some of the fastest F bodies ever made (LS1's) sold so bad, though I do think the Smokey and the Bandit movie had a lot to do with that spike in sales of them in the late 1970's, the T/A saw record numbers IIRC after that movie came out. :shrug:

Last edited:

Bob Cosby

Established Member
Yup, 77 was a big year for the T/A, no doubt. I got my license in 1980, and a T/A or Z28 (especially a T/A) was THE car to have for a high school kid. :)

Bob

10.5secAWDTALON

Established Member
Bob Cosby said:
Yup, 77 was a big year for the T/A, no doubt. I got my license in 1980, and a T/A or Z28 (especially a T/A) was THE car to have for a high school kid. :)

Bob
Please Bob...you're making me feel older than I already feel...

I got my license in 1975..... :(

My how the time flies.
:-D

BM1

Established Member
Silver95 said:
Just out of curiosity, who would take the cake in a street race, stock for stock? I also heard the LS1's respond better to mods then the Ford 4V motors?

It's a driver's / traction race if both cars are stock.

Once you start modding the cars, all bets are off.

Last edited:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
10.5secAWDTALON said:
Please Bob...you're making me feel older than I already feel...

I got my license in 1975..... :(

My how the time flies.
:-D

Dang...I was Born in '78.

Glad we can all get along now. :beer:

BTW - I know I was a tad harsh on my comments. I still think they were funny, but out of line as well. I agree with the post above from Blackmach1. I hope we can all agree that these two cars, are indeed a driver's race......from a dig.

TR03Mach1

Black Snake
Established Member
A few facts that I know; 1. I'm still probably the oldest person posting in this thread, 2. A stock 03/04 Mach 1 CAN beat a stock LS1 powered fbody on a given day, and 3. it's not wise to come onto a FORD website and beat your chest and proclaim how great the LS1 is.

Just for the record, my first run down a quarter mile dragstrip was at Cecil County Dragway back in 1973, and I was driving.... a 1970 Mach 1 Mustang!

machfelon

Jersey's Phinest
Established Member
TR03Mach1 said:
A few facts that I know; 1. I'm still probably the oldest person posting in this thread, 2. A stock 03/04 Mach 1 CAN beat a stock LS1 powered fbody on a given day, and 3. it's not wise to come onto a FORD website and beat your chest and proclaim how great the LS1 is.

Just for the record, my first run down a quarter mile dragstrip was at Cecil County Dragway back in 1973, and I was driving.... a 1970 Mach 1 Mustang!

:thumbsup: WELL SAID :beer:

Silver95

Established Member
I heard that the LS1's respond REAL well to bolt ons. Is it true that with head/cam+bolt ons almost 500wph is possible?

What is the most that a Mach 1 can take with bolt ons (N/A)

TR03Mach1

Black Snake
Established Member
Silver95 said:
I heard that the LS1's respond REAL well to bolt ons. Is it true that with head/cam+bolt ons almost 500wph is possible?

What is the most that a Mach 1 can take with bolt ons (N/A)
Since when are heads and cams considered bolt ons? :shrug: At least compare apples to apples.

Silver95

Established Member
OK sorry, ill reword that-

Here what id like to know

What can the Mach make all out N/A including head/cam combos?

What can a LS1 make with all out N/A including heads/cams?

Ive read on another mach 1 site that around 340-350whp is the max you can get out of them N/A?

TR03Mach1

Black Snake
Established Member
You can probably get close to 400rwhp out of one. But, it would be so expensive to achieve, that most people would much rather spend less than 3k on a blower and a tune, and put down close to 500rwhp.

o3BLUEMACH1

Established Member
TR03Mach1 said:
You can probably get close to 400rwhp out of one. But, it would be so expensive to achieve, that most people would much rather spend less than 3k on a blower and a tune, and put down close to 500rwhp.

where are you seeing deals for superchargers for Mach 1's for less than $3000? :poke:

From what Ive found, :read: The cheapest S/C without fuel injectors/pump/maf is around $3700 ( www.superchargers4less.com Procharger P1SC Tuner Kit ) add injectors/maf/pump (~$500).... not to mention the tuner(~$380) and the dyno tune (~$100 / Hr, could go up to $300+))......$3700+500+380+300= $4880..... :shrug:

Last edited:

TR03Mach1

Black Snake
Established Member
o3BLUEMACH1 said:
where are you seeing deals for superchargers for Mach 1's for less than $3000? :poke:

From what Ive found, :read: The cheapest S/C without fuel injectors/pump/maf is around $3700 ( www.superchargers4less.com Procharger P1SC Tuner Kit ) add injectors/maf/pump (~$500).... not to mention the tuner(~$380) and the dyno tune (~$100 / Hr, could go up to $300+))......$3700+500+380+300= $4880..... :shrug:
What, you never heard of EBAY?? LOL! Seriously, a good friend of mine bought a complete Procharger setup off a guy on Mach1Registry for $2,500 + shipping. That included the P1SC head unit w/8lb pulley, 42lb injectors, maf, heat exchanger, chip, belt, the whole enchilada. And since it came off a Mach 1, he knew it would fit and work. He installed it himself, got a dyno tune, and put down 477rwhp and 430rwtq. Not a bad deal. And yeah, I know it's not the norm, but even paying full price for the supercharger, it's a hell of alot cheaper than getting ported and polished FR500 intake, heads, and cams!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread